|People in Need||Gaziantep|
|Türkçe (C2, Level 6, Advanced)|
Position Title: WASH Assistant
Duty Location: Gaziantep Office (with frequent visits/travels to project areas/cities.)
Contract Duration: 3 months
Reporting to: Emergency Coordinator (with technical reporting to Program Manager – WASH)
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, and Education, in addition to Early Recovery and Livelihoods activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $30 million, engaging over 350 full- time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries.
A recent disaster in southwest Turkey displaced residents and caused discomfort in their lives. People affected by this have become in need of basic and urgent assistance. To aid those in need and those affected by the earthquake, a distribution activity has been established within the scope of the project.
General Unit Description
WASH department is supporting the communities affected by the earthquake in Turkey with water, sanitation and Hygiene kits services.
General position Description
The main responsibilities of the WASH assistant are: to support identification, implementation, and monitoring of the WASH infrastructure interventions carried out as part of PIN’s Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) programming in Turkey, with the goal to improve public health of the target population. To reduce the health risks to people affected by the earthquake and suffering from lack or poor state of WASH-related services by providing mobile sanitation systems.
- Report daily and weekly movement to field supervisor.
Principal Job duties (responsibilities AND TASKS):
- Assess health risks, water and sanitation needs, available resources and the capacity of existing systems – damaged or neglected infrastructure and sources, possibly camp settlements;
- Identifying needs for mobile sanitation, arranging and organizing with the authorities to distribute mobile toilets and connect it to drainage and sewage system.
- Consult with community representatives about access, design and management of mobile sanitation facilities;
- Design and implement/monitor implementation of sanitation facilities;
- Assess condition, set up maintenance systems, train staff and arrange repairs of mobile sanitation facilities;
- Prepare technical drawings, BOQ, specifications for sanitation facilities; including the Specification of the latrine itself and the installation works needed (connection to water and/or sanitation, and ground levelling where needed).
- Supports program team in terms of Negotiations, preparations and management of contracts with service providers (may include preparing tender documentation and evaluating capacity and quality of contractors);
- Arranging the cleaning material distribution.
- Carry out the community engagement in the targeted communities to ensure better contribution to the maintenance of the installed latrines.
- Support the distribution team in identifying needs for hygiene kits for the vulnerable communities.
- Liaise with other I/NGOs and administrative bodies to ensure coordination and works.
- Other tasks assigned by employee’s Line Manager corresponding to actual needs of the mission, programs, and projects.
- Substitute relevant colleagues (fully or partially) during their absence when assigned by employee’s Line Manager.
- Understand and adhere to the mission’s National Staff Handbook, PIN Code of Conduct, PIN Key Policies and relevant guidelines.
Principal competences required:
- Fluent written and spoken Turkish;
- Good written and spoken English language skill is an advantage;
- Applicants should be (Turkish Citizens)
- University Degree in Water or Civil Engineering or other relevant field(s) and/or at least 1 year of practical experience in Shelter/WASH infrastructure sector in humanitarian sector
- Experience in supervising and mentoring other staff;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different cultural
- good organization, coordination, analytical and problem-solving skills; and capacity to prioritize, communicate effectively and meet deadlines; to flexible working hours when necessary; professional, proactive, organized and service oriented;
- Familiarity with the humanitarian context affecting Turkish population;
- A strong commitment towards humanitarian relief and disaster operations; it is of utmost priority that candidates understand, respect and actively promote the spirit of the mandate and core humanitarian values, including: humanity and the humanitarian imperative, independence, impartiality, neutrality, and accountability in aid.
Skills competencies such as behavioral, interpersonal and personal skills
- Communication such as active listening
- Stress management
- Conflict Resolution and problem solving
- Time Management and meeting deadlines
Kindly note that:
- Females candidates are encouraged to apply for this position.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted with.
- Due to the urgency of this hiring, we will start the hiring process as soon as a matching candidate found regardless of the announcement end date.