Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Project Assistant (CMS)
One Year Fixed Term Contract -with possible extension (G6)
Deadline of Applications:
24 September 2019
Number of Vacant Positions:
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Migration Management Programme Coordinator and direct supervision of the CMS National Programme Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the support in the implementation of Counter Migrant Smuggling Unit portfolio of the Country Office.
Specifically, the incumbent will be tasked to support “Strengthening the operational capacities of the Turkish Coast Guard in managing migration flows in the Mediterranean Sea – Phase II” project.
The incumbent will be responsible for supporting and assisting the achievement of the objective and results of the aforementioned project as well as successful day to day implementation of the activities under the project.
Furthermore; the incumbent will also be supporting the implementation of certain components of the other projects under Counter Migrant Smuggling Unit’s portfolio.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to coordination of project activities and personally contribute to day-to-day planning, implementation and monitoring of the CMS unit activities, particularly in matters related the logistical, financial and administrative aspects of the project
- Coordinate all logistical and administrative arrangements of project activities such as conferences, trainings, workshops, study/field visits etc.
- Coordinate procurement of services, supplies, equipment with Procurement Unit and follow up payments and project expenditures with the Finance Unit.
- Ensure that operational, administrative and financial activities of the projects and activities are carried out within the approved budgets in accordance with IOM rules and regulations
- Provide support in the monitoring of project budget; suggest amendments to the project budget if necessary.
- Draft various project related correspondence (programs of activities; list of participants; invitation letters etc.)
- Prepare draft Terms of References as well as contracts of the consultants working in the project.
- Report regularly on the challenges and progress recorded in realization of activities and provide considerable assistance in drafting project reports such as inception, progress etc.
- Draft minutes of the meetings whether internal or external.
- Actively participate and contribute to project activities (conferences, trainings, workshops, study/field visits) via moderation of events; preparation and delivery of presentations; responding to questions of the participants etc.
- Create and maintain archiving system for project-related files.
- Prepare analytical notes of meetings, develop research reports, briefing notes, policy papers, and other materials as required
- Provide support in identification of new partnerships to strengthen various CMS initiatives for Turkey and explore opportunities for future project development.
- Support in designing concept notes, project proposals and project budgets under CMS programme
- Act as a focal point in collaboration and communication with the beneficiary and other stakeholders of the project.
- Meet and liaise with the local and international counterparts if requested by the direct supervisor
- Assist in guiding and coordinating work of project staff.
- Provide any other assistance to Migration Management Department, if requested by the direct supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education and Experience:
- Completed bachelor’s degree in Social and/or Political Science, International Relations or a related field;
- Four years of experience in relevant field is an asset,
- Knowledge on irregular migration and relevant national/international policies is an asset
- Training on project development and management is asset,
- Being able to travel,
- Good familiarity with diplomatic environment
- Proven analytical, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Good level of computer literacy.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national / international institutions
- Experience working in the region an advantage.
- Experience in writing papers, briefings, articles
- Ms in Social and/or Political Science, International Relations or a related field focusing on international migration
- Completion of the learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position
- Good knowledge of IOM financial rules, procedures and processes.
- Prior experience in functions relating to project implementation and programme activities.
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries and the broader community to advance country office objectives.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that female candidates are highly encouraged and that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 24 September 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.