Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Project Assistant (Cash-Based Interventions (CBI))-re-advertised
Hatay – Türkiye
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G6)- with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
6 October 2023
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External
Under the overall supervision of the Recovery and Stabilization Officer and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant Cash Based Intervention CBI, the successful candidate will be supporting the implementation of Cash-Based Interventions (CBI) in Turkiye.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement project activities and objectives in line with global and IOM standards for CBI and in close coordination with the Senior Project Assistant Cash Based Intervention CBI, including conducting situational analysis, needs assessment, targeting and distribution.
- Coordinate and monitor the operational, administrative and financial aspects of CBI in accordance with IOM’s policies, practices and global standards as well as relevant requirements, guidelines and donor agreements.
- Promote and contribute to the integration and mainstreaming of cross-cutting issues, such as Gender-Based Violence, Disability Inclusion, Child Protection and Accountability to Affected Populations, in all CBI activities.
- Support in the identification and monitoring of adequate transfer mechanisms and financial service providers to facilitate efficient and effective implementation of CBI.
- Support in the implementation of needs and market assessments to gather information to be used for the selection, design and implementation of the most appropriate CBI modalities.
- Contribute to the development of standard operations procedures and technical guidelines in close coordination with colleagues to facilitate an efficient and effective CBI delivery, in line with IOM’s policies and procedures for cash-based programming.
- Coordinate and monitor the work of the Project Assistants to implement cash activities effectively and provide technical guidance and capacity-building to the Project assistants in order to achieve outcome and impact of projects and accountability to beneficiaries in line with IOM and donor policies.
- Support in the preparation of concept notes, sections of project proposals, project narratives, workplans and other project-related documents in close coordination with relevant units.
- Coordinate regularly with relevant colleagues in implementing project plans, monitoring best utilization of project budget and facilitating synergies with other IOM projects.
- Monitor project implementation according to the workplan, document and evaluate results, identify the causes of deviations and bottlenecks and recommend and implement corrective actions.
- Support report writing to present information and data related to CBI in Turkiye and the preparation of reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, presentation and other forms of documentation, as needed.
- Participate in Cash Working Group or other CBI-related meetings, workshops and forums, as required, and assist in coordinating activities with local authorities, United Nations Agencies, national and international non-governmental organizations and other stakeholders.
- Undertake regular duty travel to monitor project implementation and provide on-site guidance to the teams and verify that activities are conducted in line with donor requirements and project documents.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Political Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High School from an accredited academic institution with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in cash programming in humanitarian contexts, preferably across multiple sectors, including experience in emergency and conflict environments;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national or international institutions, United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations;
- Experience in project management;
- Strong experience with databases, assessment tools and reporting;
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions or organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage
- Knowledge of the fundaments of CBI;
- Familiar with innovative systems used in humanitarian sectors and a fast learner;
- Ability to communicate effectively with vendors and beneficiaries;
- Strong knowledge of Accountability to Affected Populations tools and methodologies;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and strong communication skills;
- Knowledge of Sphere standards and other training in humanitarian response preferred;
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail..
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish and Arabic is advantageous
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
This is a local position and applications from candidates for non-Turkish citizens holding a valid residence permit residing in Türkiye might be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 6 October 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.