Vacancy Notice Number:
Senior Database Assistant
5 months Special Short-Term Ungraded Contract
Gaziantep – Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
30 May 2022
Number of Vacant positions:
Internal & External Candidates
Following the adoption of the 2014 UN Security Council Resolution 2165, UN agencies and their partners were authorized to provide Cross-Border humanitarian relief inside of Syria. With the support of our donors, IOM provides assistance to Syrians through cross border operations from Turkey. The Cross- Border initiative regularly collects and verifies data on vulnerable population groups and their accessibility to services to address priority needs, and the types of required humanitarian interventions. Eight years into the crisis, the humanitarian situation has continued to deteriorate in Syria with intensified fighting, high levels of violence, and on-going displacements across the country.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator and direct supervision of the National Database Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for developing databases and design data tools which can be used for Cross-Border external and internal products. The successful candidate is responsible for the planning, coordination, supervision and implementation of data management activities at IOM office in Gaziantep.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in developing ad-hoc database systems for operations or project implementation purposes, as necessary. And prepare the data to be compatible with the requirements of information processing and analysis.
- Remotely coordinate and monitor day-to-day activities related to database applications functionality and technical issues.
- Responsible for developing, maintenance and data security of programme’s data sharing online platform.
- Respond timely to ad-hoc requests from partners and stakeholder to use programme’s data sharing online platform.
- Assist in data and information processing and analysis. Suggest recommendations for further technological integration possibilities upon the implementation of the developed system for the needs of IOM’s activities, in close coordination with the National Database Officer.
- Develop data entry tools for thematic surveys/assessments and support the field teams while these surveys are being rolled out in the field.
- Assist in software programming processes including analyzing, developing, testing, publishing and maintenance.
- Provide technical support and capacity building on tools use and maintenance to the implementing partners as required.
- Conduct tests to check the effectiveness, integrity, relevance, internal - and external consistency, and validity of the database system and its data, and ensure compatibility with the GIS system that will be developed in parallel.
- Support in analyze the data flow processes that are relevant to the effective collection, storage, processing of the data.
- Ensure the implementation of IOM ITC Standards, policies, and guidelines, in particular with regards to the databases and information systems being developed or implemented.
- Support the planning, designing and implementation of the programme’s Data Management tools/techniques.
- Support the testing of data/information management tools to check the effectiveness, integrity, relevance, internal - and external consistency, and validity of the database system and its data.
- Assist in documenting, developing and delivering user manuals and training programs for the developed and tested databases and systems.
- Assist in improving data collection procedures and formats and their standardization, assist in implementing proper backup/restoration, data validation and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability.
- Ensure the effective use of the designated information system and other databases to manage the implementation of the information management mechanism.
- Support the design and management of databases and information systems, dataset extraction for analysis, and data representation.
- Perform other such duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Statistics or Computer Science, Information Technology or Applied Mathematics, Information management, data management with at least four years of relevant experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience in the use of computer programs and databases (e.g. Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Access, SQL Server, MySQL and other enterprise database system).
- Experience in developing using PHP and other web applications development languages.
- Previous experience working with an International Organization or NGO.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility and drive for results.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team of colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Knowledge of common scripting languages (Python, R) is an advantage;
- Knowledge on the Syrian context is an advantage
- Fluency in Arabic and English is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies1 – behavioural indicators level 2
- Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
- Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
- Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
- Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
- Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
- Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
- Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
- Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
- Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
- Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered. The approval of current employer (If applicable) is necessary for holding this position and advance written permission from current employer is necessary before assigned duties.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number and the city applied for in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 30 May 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
1. As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.