Senior Communication Officer (Ref: Senior Communication Officer(11687) - TUR1019)
|İngilizce (C1, Level 5, Upper Intermediate),İngilizce (C2, Level 6, Advanced)
Job Title: Senior Communication Officer
Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe! We are one of the largest and most respected private organizations for development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. We are a politically independent and non-denominational organization, our value-oriented actions are always based on humanitarian principles. Our vision is a world in which everyone has the chance and the right to lead a self-determined life in dignity and justice, free from hunger and poverty.
Welthungerhilfe's Head Office is in Bonn, Germany whilst the Syria Response is managed from our Country Office in Gaziantep. Welthungerhilfe was established in Turkey in 2013 specifically to help people who are affected by the Syria Crisis. Since then, the organisation has expanded its program scope and scale to make the greatest possible contribution to meeting humanitarian needs in Turkey and North West Syria. Welthungerhilfe has field offices in Azaz and Afrin, as well as Ankara, Istanbul, Hatay and Mardin. The Syria Response program includes food security, WASH services, Shelter and NFI services, protection, early recovery and livelihood.
If you want to become part of this joint mission in Turkey, Syria and Lebanon, we look forward to receiving your application as:
Senior Communication Officer in Gaziantep
The position is to be filled by December, 2023, with a contract duration until end of the project. Employment location will be Gaziantep, Turkey. The position is paid according to [[paygrade]].
Welthungerhilfe (WHH) is a private, non-profit making, politically independent and non-denominational organization working to achieve sustainable food and nutrition security, through nutrition, WASH, agriculture, natural resource management, economic development, and skills development activities. WHH has a vision of a world in which everyone has the chance and the right to lead a self-determined life in dignity and justice, free from hunger and poverty.
WHH head office is in Bonn, Germany whilst the Syria Response is managed from our Country Office in Gaziantep. WHH was established in Turkey in 2013 specifically to help to the people who are affected by the Syria Crisis. Since then, WHH has expanded its program scope and scale to make the greatest possible contribution to meeting humanitarian needs in Turkiye and Northwest Syria. WHH has field offices in Azaz and Afrin, as well as Ankara, Istanbul, Hatay and Mardin. WHH Response includes food security, WASH services, Shelter and NFI services, protection, early recovery, and livelihood.
The Communications department for Welthungerhilfe Turkey was established in October 2016 in order to support the Country Directors with external communications activities as the crisis in Syria was of great interest to the German and international public, donors as well as the media. The Communications department is currently made up of two full time Media Assistant based in Syria and one Senior Communications Officer who regularly travels to project locations in Turkiye, North West Syria (based on the security situation) and Lebanon.
The Senior Communications Officer is responsible for implementing communications and visibility activities of Welthungerhilfe and the donors in the three project countries. All external communications activities are coordinated by the Senior Communications Officer under the coordination of the Institutional Donor Manager / Internal and External Communications Manager, Head of Grants and Communication and Country Director for Turkiye, Syria & Lebanon and collaborates with all Heads of Projects. The Senior Communications Officer also works closely with the Marketing & Communications department in Head Office Germany as they are all leading global PR, communications and fundraising activities.
Welthungerhilfe regional program increased the number of projects, partners and locations, we aim to continue with the same quality of support for partners and project teams in terms of capacity building and to maintain high quality in our communication and visibility efforts.
To promote the work of Welthungerhilfe in the region by making its work visible, tangible and transparent to external stakeholders and the German public in order to ensure (financial) support and acceptance of our program.
Welthungerhilfe aims to strengthen its brand and awareness in the region through increased visibility in the field as well as in its communications efforts. Therefore, the Senior Communications Officer will establish a good working relationship with its partners and the communication departments / focal points of various donors and fundings facilitators such as ECHO, OCHA (SCHF), BMZ, AFNS, PRM, GIZ and GFFO and partner organizations.
By aiming to increase the awareness about Welthungerhilfe’s work in the region and its impact, the Senior Communications Officer is responsible to create high quality and relevant content about Welthungerhilfe and its work tailored to different target audiences and communication channels. This content includes Human-interest stories, photos, and videos as well as preparing information materials that can be used to address journalist inquiries and (private) donors.
The Senior Communications Officer is responsible of the content management of Welthungerhilfe Country Office website.
- Be the focal point for visibility, external communications and PR related issues for the region.
- Monitor, collect and analyse information pertaining to the humanitarian events and response efforts and develop internal and external information products.
- Proactively offer and facilitate interviews with relevant representatives and partners in the three countries in close coordination with the communication team at HO and the Institutional Donor Manager / Internal and External Communications Manager.
- Initiate, produce, edit, and coordinate the publication of high-quality multi-media communications material such as human-interest stories, case studies, stories of change, interviews with affected communities, articles, blogposts, photographs, videos (usually prepared by external parties), but also project information in the form of brochures, flyers, fact sheets and newsletters.
- Coordinate with the HO to prepare press releases about natural disasters and human-made emergencies swiftly.
- Provide technical support and on the job training to Welthungerhilfe and partner organisation communication staff to increase the quality of communication materials produced.
- Provide technical advice, support and train Welthungerhilfe project staff and partner organisations in the region on Communications guidelines and based on existing internal sources produce practical written manuals for them to utilise.
- Ensure for the importance of protection guidelines such as data protection, informed consent and ethical standards for external communications within Welthungerhilfe and with partners.
- Ensure the adherence to WHH corporate design (logo, colour code, use of templates).
- Initiate, develop, and maintain good relationships with communications focal points of partner organisations, donors, UN agencies, and German embassies/consulates and journalists.
- In conjunction with the CD and the Institutional Donor Manager / Internal and External Communications Manager identify key messages about Welthungerhilfe’s work in the region to communicate to an external audience.
- Close liaise with the Marketing department in HO to maintain, initiate and develop fundraising and PR activities.
- Organise, prepare, and accompany journalist trips in the region in close coordination with the communications unit at HO and the Institutional Donor Manager / Internal and External Communications Manager.
- Ensure that each project and partner designs and implements its communication plan
- Update and manage the Welthungerhilfe Turkey’s Country Office website www.welthungerhilfe.org.tr
- Establish working relationship with relevant clusters (NWS Advocacy Working Group) with the aim to ensure Welthungerhilfe’s presence and influence.
- Broaden Welthungerhilfe portfolio of design and film agencies as well as freelance photographers and texters.
- Prepare the Annual Report and coordinate the collection of information process for the report.
- Coordinate with the Liaison Department on the production of communication materials intended for the local authorities.
- Provide up to date information about the Regional Program on WHH internal channels like social intranet (Sharepoint), Teams channels and participate in network groups for internal communication purposes.
- Ensure that visibility guidelines of donors are adhered to by WHH and partners
In addition to the above, the Senior Communications Officer might be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Supervisor or Line Manager.
- Education: At least bachelor degree
- Experience: Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in the field of communications or working experience in media sector
- Language: Excellent written and spoken English skills are required
- Skils: Proficiency in Microsoft Office; Adobe, and other designing software
- Relevant university or polytechnic qualification, ideally in the field of communications
- Experience in the field of communications or working experience in media sector, preferably in the field of humanitarian /development cooperation
- Experience with working in crisis regions
- Ability to produce high quality media material
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Turkish and/or Arabic is highly desired, German is an asset
- Strong inter-personal communication skills and ability to work well in a team and in a multi-cultural setting
- Flexibility and ability to work independently and take initiatives with minimum supervision
- Open mind personality with intercultural competences
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits.
WHH receives funds from its donors for projects. If necessary funds are secured the duration of the announced post may be extended. If project funding is not secured the activities will stop completely and the employment contract shall be terminated.
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by November 30, 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Welthungerhilfe reserves the right to fill in the position before the deadline due to urgency. Your contact person is Veysel Akkor.
Please read the privacy notice.
WHH TURKEY JOB CANDIDATE PRIVACY NOTICE
This Privacy Notice was drafted by Deutsche Welthungerhilfe e.V. Turkey Representation Office (“WHH Turkey”) as data controller in accordance with Article 10 of the Turkish Law No 6698 on the Protection of Personal Data (“Law”) and the Communiqué on the Principles and Procedures in Conforming with the Obligation to Inform.
On the legal bases referred to in Article 5, “the processing activity is necessary for establishment, use or protection of a right” and “the processing is necessary for the conclusion or fulfilment of a contract”, WHH Turkey shall process your name-surname, e-mail address, mobile phone no, references and CV/résumé personal data for carrying out selection and placement processes for job candidates, and transfer them to third party suppliers through your applications to published WHH Turkey job ads via employment agencies or sending your CV/résumé to WHH Turkey directly by wholly or partly automatic means. Additionally, WHH Turkey is going to get in touch with your references assuming that all obligatory information is given, and consents are obtained by your side about sharing their personal data with WHH Turkey.
You may submit your requests to WHH Turkey under Article 11 of the Law concerning the rights of the data subject in accordance with the Communiqué on the Procedures and Principles of Application to a Data Controller.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.