Support to Life: We are an internationally recognised humanitarian organisation that aims to ensure that disaster-affected communities have access to their basic rights and needs. Founded in 2005 by humanitarian professionals, our association works in the fields of Emergency Response, Refugee Support, Child Protection, and Capacity Building in Civil Society. We focus on improving the lives of people affected by natural or human-made disasters in Türkiye and the surrounding regions.
We support those in need to access their basic rights and needs and to stand on their own feet. We aim to eliminate the risks faced by children living in challenging conditions, particularly in seasonal agricultural areas. We conduct emergency relief operations in times of disasters. We are also working to contribute to a civil society prepared for disasters and to the strengthening of localisation Through our brand ‘destekar,’ which we define as a social design market, we transform the everyday shopping practice for daily needs into an opportunity to support a fairer and more equal world.
We carry out our activities in coordination with our headquarters in Kadıköy, Istanbul in Türkiye. With our field offices and mobile teams, we provide services in 13 provinces across the country, including Adana, Adıyaman, Ankara, Batman, Diyarbakır, Hatay, Istanbul, İzmir, Kahramanmaraş, Malatya, Mardin, Mersin, and Şanlıurfa. We also provide consultancy to local initiatives in different provinces in Türkiye, as well as to local humanitarian organisations in Moldova, Romania, Poland, Slovakia, Czechia and Ukraine, which provide support to Ukrainian refugees.
In the projects we carry out with the contributions of international funds and local supporters, we have approximately 350 humanitarian aid professionals involved. We design and implement our work in line with the global principles of humanitarian assistance, including neutrality, independence, humanity, impartiality, and accountability.
To learn more about our work, please visit our website www.supporttolife.org or follow our social media accounts.
Support to Life is looking for a Safeguarding Expert.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Ensure that Safeguarding (for Child/adult Safeguarding, Protection form Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment, Code of Conduct) policies, processes, systems and practice are understood, applied and embedded in the HQ and all operations.
- Provide quality and accessible support and guidance to managers and staff across functions to integrate the core safeguarding operational activities into the response strategies, design, planning, monitoring and delivery of programs.
- Working across functions establish a safeguarding plan for Earthquake Crisis response and monitor progress against the plan. Provide regular reports to HQ.
- Improve accountability to children and adult at risk by driving excellence in humanitarian safeguarding
- Support HR in safe recruitment process by ensuring minimum standards of Safeguarding are met and risks are assessed and mitigated.
- Deliver Safeguarding training / induction meeting (regularly) to HQ and emergency response team members.
- Deliver trainings on emerging trends or issues in safeguarding, embedding PSEAH, child safeguarding and safer Programming, to deepen understanding of field and HQ teams.
- Ensure that the Focal Points (Adult and Child safeguarding) responds in real-time to safeguarding violations in an effective, robust and survivor -centred/and rights approach
- Ensure that case information is kept confidential, documented and filed/stored appropriately
- Work in co-operation with the child safeguarding officer on the improvement and implementation of the child safeguarding system and supervising CS officer
- Provide technical expertise to staff to identify, analyse and act to mitigate key safeguarding risks to children and adults at risk in our programmes, especially with the special focus on the groups who may be at higher risk (e.g., adolescent girls, people with disabilities, children without appropriate care, LGBTQI+, etc.)
- Ensure integration with other programme sectors, assuring that Safeguarding is well imbedded, and issues are raised and addressed in real-time – e.g., in the Mobile PSS Unit, Community Centers, and cash and voucher programming etc.
- Provide or support teams to provide child-friendly and inclusive information to children and families in programme areas on humanitarian principles, rights, unacceptable behaviour and ways to raise concerns
- Provide input to project development to make sure that safeguarding measures for and necessary budget is incorporated for safe programming.
- Build capacity for embedding Safer Partnership and Volunteer Management System. This includes supporting teams to build the safeguarding capacity of partners and volunteers.
- Deliver Safeguarding training along with Focal Points and other relevant staff to the partners, community volunteers and local support staff,
- Work closely with MEAL to develop and/or strengthen adequate reporting mechanisms
- Participate in relevant coordination mechanisms, including clusters and networks and support the coordination of Safeguarding activities.
- Support the Child Protection (CP) and GBV teams to set-up referral mechanisms that work for both CP and Safeguarding concerns. this will include mapping out and accessing quality of existing services
- Ensure key safeguarding risks are recorded (without confidential data) on the regular situation reports
- Elaborate Safeguarding report for emergency fields with key actions and validate with managers, and provide brief safeguarding update for the HQ
- Minimum 5 years of Safeguarding experience
- Understanding of safeguarding and safe programming, as well as related fields such as protection, child protection, gender, culture, and leadership.
- Clear understanding of best practice in ethics management and accountability
- Demonstrated experience adapting organisation-specific safeguarding content including training, policy, awareness raising and communications tools for use by organisation partners
- Excellent written and spoken in both Turkish
- Preferably very good level of English
- Work experience with an NGO in humanitarian context
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, effective organisational and interpersonal skills
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills
- Commitment to upholding and modelling Support to Life’s values, demonstrating integrity, professionalism, reliability and resilience at all times.
- Able to work professionally, and with a high degree of confidentiality, at all times.
- Strong IT skills
- Strong and clear communicator and public speaker, capable of delivering messages appropriately to a variety of audiences, building a sense of passion and engagement.
- Excellent self-awareness and understanding of the need for self-care
STL is an equal opportunities employer. STL is committed to provide and maintain a comprehensive child safeguarding and gender based equality perspective in all its operational and administrative processes.
Please be advised that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Hayata Destek Derneği
Hayata Destek’in hedefleri doğrultusunda sürdürmekte olduğu stratejik çalışma alanları aşağıdaki gibidir;
· Mülteci Destek: STL, Türkiye’deki Suriyeli mültecilerin temel hak ve ihtiyaçlarına erişimini sağlamayı amaçlamaktadır. Geçim kaynağını destekleme amaçlı mesleki kurslar yürütmenin yanı sıra psiko-sosyal destek odaklı toplum merkezleri ve vaka yönetimi faaliyetleri yürüten mobil destek ekipleri aracılığıyla mültecilere doğrudan destek ulaştırmaktadır.
· Çocuk Koruma: STL, Türkiye’de çocuk işçiliğini sorunuyla mücadele için risk altındaki çocuklara yönelik çalışmalar yürütmekte, bu konuda özellikle mevsimlik tarım alanında çalışan ya da çalışma potansiyeli olan çocuklara odaklanmaktadır. Mülteci krizi ile birlikte Türkiye’de çocuk işçiliğinin yeni bir boyut kazanmasıyla bu alandaki çalışmalara mülteci çocuklar da dâhil edilmiştir.
· Acil Yardım: STL, olası bir afet durumunda, afetlerden etkilenen topluluklara ayni ve nakdi yardım sunarak acil yardım operasyonları yürütmektedir. Bu kapsamda gıda ve gıda dışı temel ihtiyaçların karşılanması,barınma koşullarının iyileştirilmesi yanı sıra su, sanitasyon ve hijyen ihtiyaçlarına cevap verilmesi hedeflenmektedir.
· Sivil Toplumu Güçlendirme ve Ağ Oluşturma: STL, afet risk yönetimi ve etkili insani yardım çalışmaları için ihtiyaç duyulan sivil toplum kapasitesini güçlendirmek adına anahtar paydaşları bir araya getirmek için çalışır. Raporlama ve kapasite geliştirme faaliyetlerinin yanı sıra, kamu ve sivil toplum alanındaki ilgili paydaşlar ile aktif bir koordinasyon mekanizması oluşturularak Türkiye’de afete hazırlık, etkili müdahale ve risk yönetimi konularında iyileştirme sağlamayı amaçlanmaktadır.