We are looking for highly qualifiedProtection Coordinator for our Protection program in Hatay, Turkey.
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the Job
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
• Delivers organization’s policies and programmes within protection programing
• Functions as a technical specialist within protection programing
Sector responsibilities: Advocacy for the rights of displaced people in their context of displacement, individual protection assistance based on vulnerability, legal aid, sexual and gender-based violence prevention, registration services for the internally displaced and refugees, monitoring of rights and rights awareness-raising, facilitation of return and repatriation processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Programme Strategy & New Project Development:
- Develop and roll out DRC Turkey’s Protection Strategy and Action Plan, ensuring it is in-line with the overall country strategy which reflects the evolving nature of the Syrian conflict and displacement needs in Turkey;
- Lead the strengthening of protection mainstreaming in all phases of DRC’s projects;
- Proactively engage in coordination with local and international NGOs as well as with Government agencies to refine, expand and strengthen DRC’s referral and information assistance and partner networks;
- With the relevant Area/Project Managers and Grants Coordinator, contribute to and lead the technical design and review of Protection concept notes, logical frameworks, budgets and full proposals;
- Support the Programme Quality Department in rolling out qualitative and quantitative monitoring, analysis and evaluation approaches to build institutional learning;
- Maintain technical links with DRC Regional counterparts.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on issues related to protection
- Represent DRC at relevant coordination meetings
- Ensure integration of protection activities with other DRC sectors
- Coordinate with sector counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects
- Ensure good representation and reputation of sector at all levels
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Ensure and actively participate in regular sector meetings
General Programming & Operations
- Contributes to the daily operation with comprehensive knowledge in a specific area
- Carrying out protection needs assessment
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors
- Provides technical guidance to DRC teams and Partner organizations
- Assist in developing project plans and budgets for funding
- Assist in developing the projects’ Monitoring & Evaluation tools
- Assist in project implementation and reporting
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities as per need
Team Management Technical Support:
- Oversee all Protection projects and budgets;
- Support DRC Turkey’s Protection Unit and provide team members with technical guidance and support through regular coordination meetings;
- Design Protection staff capacity development plans and, in coordination with the HoP, lead their implementation;
- Regularly travel to the field to provide technical support and feedback to field teams and implementing partners on programmatic approaches and issues;
- Ensure all protection tools, SoPs and guidelines are regularly updated;
- Work with field Protection teams and Partnership Manager to support the capacity building of implementing partners.
As Coordinator the post-holder is responsible for the following:
• Responsible for coordinating strategy and operations within protection in Turkey
• Has technical line responsibilities within protection response, for both strategy and operations
• Provides expert advice and support to set strategy and assure operational quality and compliance
• Coordinates the daily activities of country office protection teams, comprised of 3 staff
• Does not have direct line management responsibility for staff, but may contribute to recruitment and/or performance appraisal of members of the protection team and as a technical manager of the team
• Implements the manager’s decisions through the work of subordinate employees, often playing a role in deciding how to do it; and how to achieve the objective set by the manager.
To be successful in this role, you must have Master's degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Minimum 3-5 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO.
- Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in project development.
- Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organizations.
- Full professional proficiency in English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 12 months’ contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from 01 May 2019 and be willing and able to work in Hatay.
This position is on Employment band: G - Non-manager
We offer a fair compensation package depending on your qualification and experiences. DRC Turkey is income tax exempted.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 31 March 2019.
Interviews will be done on a rolling basis. Qualified candidates could be contacted before the deadline for a technical test and interview
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact HR team at email@example.com.
Please note that applications sent directly to HR team will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo