Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (WASH)-re-advertised
6 months Special Short-Term Contract (G5) -with possible extension
Kahramanmaras - Türkiye
Deadline of Applications:
7 June 2023
Number of Vacant Positions:
Internal & External
Under the overall supervision of National Officer (WASH) and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (WASH), the incumbent will be required to work as a member of a multi-sector team to deliver WASH rehabilitation and recovery activities in the 11 most earthquake affected provinces of Turkey. The incumbent is required to provide technical and operational implementation of WASH standards for infrastructure.
The Project Assistant will be required to perform following responsibilities:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in technical and needs assessments and analyze the data collected for the implementation of water, sanitation and hygiene activities to respond to the needs of communities affected by the earthquake of the 6th of February 2023.
- Draft technical construction drawings, technical specifications and materials specifications for water, sanitation and related hygiene activities.
- Monitor the rehabilitation and construction of water and sanitation systems according to the workplans and standard operating procedures (SOP) developed by IOM.
- Support the mobilization of members of the community to facilitate the construction of water and sanitation facilities in a short timeframe as per standard SOPs.
- Monitor implementation of activities following instructions from RSU National Officer and monitoring tools developed for the project management.
- Verify that materials are compliant with the BoQs and instructions as validated by the Program Officer (WASH), keeping records and coordinating with the logistic officer for request and delivery to implementation sites as dictated by the IOM SOPs.
- Verify that constructions and activities are completed to a satisfactory standard before final payment is authorized.
- Support timely and accurate reporting of activities in compliance with quality standards as per the SOPs are met for Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E).
- Organize the distribution of critical relief supplies, including WASH non-food items (NFIs).
- Establish and maintain accurate and complete records of all equipment and supplies received, stored and distributed to the affected population.
- Support mainstreaming accountability to affected populations and the GBV integration strategy in every phase of the implementation.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Program Officer (WASH) or the National Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or Mechanical Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- School diploma with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in WASH, including implementation of program.
- Experience in the field of construction, engineering, and contract management.
- Experience in using AutoCAD.
- Experience in implementing disaster risk reduction and response projects highly desirable.
- Work experience in remote or hardship environments.
- Experience working with a non-governmental organization and/or international organization an advantage;
- Strong level of analytical skills and computer literacy.
- Knowledge of water distribution network repair and maintenance, set up of Surface Water Treatment (SWAT) systems, distribution systems for emergency water provision, and wastewater treatment in emergencies.
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values andcompetencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability, and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions, and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
This is a local position and applications from candidates for non-Turkish citizens holding a valid residence permit residing in Türkiye might be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 7 June 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- National Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
- Senior Project Assistant (CS)-re-advertised
- Consultant (IT)-re-advertised
- Finance Assistant
- Project Field Coordinator
- Project Assistant (CS) - re-advertised
- Senior Project Assistant (Cash-Based Interventions (CBI))-re-advertised
- ICT Intern-re-advertised
- Field Security Associate
- Procurement and Logistics Assistant
- Procurement and Logistics Assistant-re-advertised
- ICT Intern (FabLab)-re-advertised
- Senior Project Assistant (Cash-Based Interventions (CBI))-re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)-re-advertised
- Project Support Assistant (Cash-Based Interventions (CBI))-re-advertised
- Security Intern
- Migration Health Nurse-re-advertised