Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Social Work)-re-advertised
6 months Special Short-Term Contract (G5) -with possible extension
Hatay - Türkiye (to operate from Adana temporarily)
Deadline of Applications:
5 April 2023
Number of Vacant Positions:
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of Head of Sub-Office in Hatay and the direct supervision of Senior Project Assistant (PSS) in Hatay with in close coordination with National Officer (Protection Psychosocial Support) in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible in providing basic psychosocial support to the affected populations by utilizing their expertise in line with IOM’s MHPSS Guidance Note. Also, the Project Assistant will provide technical support to psychosocial animators in terms of activity planning and implementation. S/he will be organizing awareness raising and information sessions. Finally, s/he will be following up individual cases in coordination with the Mobile PSS Team and Emergency Case Management Unit.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide basic social support to the Syrian displaced population including awareness raising on rights, access to services, regulations and other topics as requested by communities.
- Provide psychosocial first aid to the affected population in case of sudden/on-going emergency
- Identify cases that require specialized assistance and refer to IOM’s humanitarian and/or early recovery activities or to appropriate organizations or government authorities for assistance.
- Identify the families/individual needs through family visits and focus groups and refer as required. Provide case management as required in coordination with the Case Management team.
- According to identified crucial needs in villages and in consultation with Key persons, he/she will organize thematic groups of discussions in the targeted villages.
- Provide technical guidance to psychosocial animators and project assistants in structuring and implementation of animation and discussion sessions; provide support in reporting of such activities in coordination with the team leader.
- Coordinate with the team members as to referring cases for integration within the psychosocial animation groups.
- Prepare materials needed for family support sessions, recreational and rights-based activities for children, community mobilization, awareness sessions and informal education activities.
- Prepare reports on the sessions conducted and map existing needs.
- Organize support groups and forums for the Syrian displaced population and host communities as required.
- Raise awareness on the services that will be provided by IOM mobile PSS team and the dates of the visits.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in social work from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or;
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in social work, community outreach activities, volunteerism, or other emergency related programing.
- Fluency in Turkish and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of English is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values andcompetencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability, and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions, and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 5 April 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.