Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Shelter)-re-advertised
Gaziantep – Türkiye
6 months Special Short Term Ungraded Contract– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
4 December 2023
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External
IOM is the only international inter-governmental agency with a specific mandate for migration and is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing technical expertise to governments, migrants and host communities through a wide range of sustainable solutions contributing to support populations affected by forced migration and improve living conditions of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
The conflict and violence in Syria continues to cause large-scale displacement of populations. Over 6 million people remain displaced inside Syria. Host governments and humanitarian actors, including IOM, are providing relief assistance and protection to vulnerable IDPs living with host families and in increasingly crowded camps and settlements. The combination of an extremely large displaced population and the accelerating rate of new arrivals is posing a growing challenge to reception communities’ capacity and host government’s response mechanisms.
The United Nations Security Council – through Resolution 2585 – allows the UN and its partners to provide cross border assistance from Turkey to Northern Syria. IOM Turkey’s cross-border humanitarian assistance in Syria is managed from Gaziantep. Along with the provision of non-food items (NFIs), IOM’s Shelter, WASH and Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) programming are amongst the largest being implemented by IOM Turkey.
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Officer (NFI/Operations), and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (Shelter), the successful candidate will support the Senior Project Assistant on the technical supervision and implementation of Shelter activities for the Cross-Border operations managed from Turkey and implemented inside of Syria. Work will be carried out in accordance with holistic settlement approaches, including close coordination with other IOM programmes including CCCM to support site decongestion, and participation in the Shelter/NFI clusters.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist shelter project team in monitoring the overall process of delivering cross border shelter rehabilitation & repair projects, camp establishment and construction of new shelter projects carried out by local Syrian implementing partners (IPs) inside Syria.
- Provide technical support for the implementing partners’ staff and assist with the regular operational meetings
- Assist with the follow up of IPs projects to identify bottlenecks, give technical advice and provide orientation working together with other project staff.
- Provide technical support and required orientation for M&E team and TPM field staff to facilitate verification/evaluation missions and other activities.
- Coordinate with IPs and IOM Turkey Information Management (IM) unit to maintain updated and accurate beneficiaries’ data
- Maintain records of assessed/approved sites for shelter intervention, including BoQs, required manpower, pricing and quality of used materials in construction activities and develop new assessment tools as required.
- Work closely with senior project assistant and in cooperation with IOM finance department to verify BoQs are compatible with supporting financial documents submitted by IPs.
- Develop safety assessment tools and monitor IPs compliance to safety standards and submission of supporting documents (disclaimer, Delivery reports, BoQ ..etc.)
- Examine shelter construction sites drawings and estimated BoQ, and research new solutions to improve the response and reduce the cost.
- Assist IPs to develop reporting tools and provide informal translation from Arabic to English and vice versa as required.
- Providing standard technical specification of required shelter intervention, and assist with procurement and shipment of the shelter material in coordination with the Procurement and Logistics unit.
- Contribute to compliance check procedures of the overall technical components to SPHERE & IOM minimum standards, for the provision shelter assistance and is within the budget requirements.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Civil Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working on Shelter projects or building construction;
- Proven experience and good understanding of humanitarian relief operations related to Syrian context, especially in Shelter sector;
- Experience working with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, International Organizations, and International NGOs) and in complex operations, including conflict and post- conflict situations preferred.
- Experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-governmental or governmental institutions/organizations in a multi-cultural setting.
- Experience with design and analysis software such as Autocad, Civil 3D, ETABS and similar software, in addition to advanced knowledge of Microsoft office application especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Project.
- Knowledge of Sphere project standards in humanitarian response.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
This is a local position and applications from candidates for non-Turkish citizens holding a valid residence permit residing in Türkiye might be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 4 December 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.