Project Assistant (Livelihood) - Adana (Ref: SVN#TR/2023/88)
Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (Livelihood)
Adana – Türkiye
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G5)- with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
07 April 2023
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
The ongoing conflict in Syria has created surges of people crossing the borders into neighbouring countries. Host governments and humanitarian actors, including IOM, are providing relief assistance and protection to this extremely vulnerable population living with host families and, to a lesser extent, in camps. The large number of Syrian refugees is posing a growing challenge to reception communities’ capacity and host government’s response mechanisms.
As of September 2018, Turkey is hosting 3.6 million Syrian refugees. 200,000 reside in 16 camps (over 5.5% of the total) across Southeast Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps (around 93%). Of those living outside of camps, the majority are spread across the border provinces of Gaziantep, Hatay, Sanliurfa, Kilis, Mardin as well as in Istanbul, Izmir, Mersin, Bursa and Adana.
In 2014, the Government of Turkey adapted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance. As a member of the UN Humanitarian Country Team in Syria and all concerned neighbouring countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, and Turkey), the IOM Director General has activated the L3 Emergency SOPs to enhance organizational humanitarian assistance and priorities related to IDPs, refugees and returnees, and is actively participating in the emergency response within challenging humanitarian context.
IOM's strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged;
- To provide basic needs assistance through multi-purpose cash, winterization, shelter repair and provision of transportation; 2. To ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi- service community centers offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education; and 3. To support the resilience of refugees and host communities through supporting livelihoods, community stabilisation and income generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of the recovery and Stablization officer and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (Livelihood) and in close coordination with the Project Officer (livelihoods) in Gaziantep, the incumbent will be responsible and accountable to support in the preparation and implementation of expanding livelihoods interventions in Adana to help create income-generating opportunities for Syrian refugees as well as members of the host community across southeast Turkey.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Livelihoods Team Leader in the implementation and monitoring of livelihoods interventions such as in-kind grants, job placements, vocational trainings and other schemes in southeast Turkey.
- Assist the Livelihoods Team Leader in identifying partners and creating opportunities for joint action with local authorities, associations, chambers and well as local and international NGOs to scale up IOM’s livelihoods projects.
- Assist the team leader in designing and the implementation of required assessments (needs, beneficiary, market assessments) among refugee/migrant and host communities to identify viable professions in the local labour market and other livelihood opportunities through field visits and in coordination with the field support staff, to identify vulnerable beneficiaries to be enrolled in suitable income- generating activities through data collecting, filtering, scoring and beneficiary selection based on established project criteria.
- Assist the selected beneficiaries by facilitating orientation meetings and trainings. Pay follow-up visits to monitor and provide counselling services to support them in the formalization of their businesses.
- Coordinate with the IP for the implementation of the entrepreneurship training and grant project activities in the duty station. Monitor the project activities to ensure IOM standards are maintained. Ensure the provision of the grant to the winner team, follow up the beneficiaries and provide consultancy related to their business start-up processes.
- Prepare a procurement schedule for tools/equipment as part of the in-kind grants scheme, identify suppliers in the area and develop a database, collect offers according to the type of in-kind grants to be given and issue purchase documents.
- Prepare monitoring, evaluation and reporting tools to keep track of livelihoods projects progress as well as the progress of each individual beneficiary.
- Organize beneficiary satisfaction and partner feedback surveys in order to improve future livelihoods projects.
- Help design and implement a communications strategy to promote IOM’s livelihoods activities in southeast Turkey as the projects expand.
- Consolidate information and assist with drafting donor reports.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in business management, administration, business/enterprise development, marketing, economics or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent knowledge of agriculture, rural development, livelihood and small-scale economic assistance
- Demonstrable knowledge of international and national instruments and policies relevant to agriculture assistance
- Good analytical skills, ability to interpret information, identify and analyse problems.
- Good knowledge of assessments, research methodologies and tools and data collection skills.
- Personal commitment to the mandate of the Organization, a quick learner, a strong drive for results, efficiency and flexibility.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with key counterparts, government authorities, international organizations and other partners.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures, professional backgrounds and respect for diversity;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Good level of computer literacy; proficient in Microsoft Windows and MS Office applications including outlook
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 07 April 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Human Resources Specialist
- Human Resources Associate
- Human Resources Assistant
- Human Resources Associate
- Human Resources Assistant
- Human Resources Associate
- Human Resources Assistant
- Administrative Associate
- Senior Data Management Assistant (Recovery and Stabilization)
- Project Assistant (PRU)-re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Health)-re-advertised
- National Officer (Shelter-CS)-re-advertised
- Consultant (Airports Passenger Security Processing - Legal)
- Consultant (Airports Passenger Security Processing - Technical)
- Project Assistant (WASH)-re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)-re-advertised
- National Project Officer (Livelihood)-re-advertised
- ICT Assistant-re-advertised