Vacancy Notice Number:
Project Assistant (AVRR)
5 months Special Short-Term Ungraded Contract
Istanbul – Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
25 May 2022
Number of Vacant positions:
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of the Migrant Protection and Assistance (MPA) Programme Manager and direct supervision of the Operations Officer in Istanbul, Turkey, the incumbent will be responsible for providing support to the AVRR activities of the mission.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide return counselling services and information provision on Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) to migrants in Turkey, including reintegration options in the country of origin.
- Organize and facilitate journeys home for foreign migrants and Turkish returnees in co-operation with relevant Turkish governmental authorities (Provincial Directorates of Ministry of Interior Directorate General of Migration Management), while giving special support to cases requiring it.
- As required, participate in the rotation of roles within the AVRR pillar system focusing on either Casework or Data Processing/Reintegration according to programme needs and as coordinated by the supervisor and MPA PM.
- When conducting the casework role, engage in the assessment and provision of direct assistance to migrants as required in coordination with Operations Officer.
- When conducting the casework role, coordinate with relevant IOM departments as well as IOM missions in countries of origin to organize provision of pre-departure, reception and other post arrival assistance to voluntary returnees.
- When conducting the Casework role, develop reintegration plans for vulnerable migrants prior to their return in line with MPA criteria and SOPs, focusing on facilitating sustainable reintegration in countries of origin under the guideance of Data Processing/Reintegration staff and in coordination with the supervisor and any other relevant stakeholders.
- When conducting the Data Processing/Reintegration role, ensure that all data processing and reintegration tasks for migrants are completed in line with IOM policies and mission standards on data protection/management, AVRR and migrant assistance.
- Coordinate with relevant Consulates/Embassies to obtain travel documents for cases needing them.
- Provide support to the MPA and PI teams in identifying and documenting AVRR success stories.
- Support the MPA Programme Manager, Operations Officer and National Officer in further project development in the areas of AVRR and assistance to vulnerable migrants in the Istanbul area as required.
- Assist in the liaison with relevant partners and ensure good information flow with them, in coordination with the Operations Officer and MPA PM.
- Assist in the organization of events such as capacity building workshops and roundtables, as required.
- Prepare input for statistical analysis, narrative reports and communication materials, as required
- Perform general administrative duties.
- Undertake duty travel within Turkey as well as abroad as required
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience;
- Previous work experience in an international or governmental organisation
- Experience liaising with government authorities and other national/international institutions
- Previous experience providing assistance to migrants
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Working knowledge of Pashto, Dari, Urdu, Farsi, Arabic or Russian is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered. The approval of current employer (If applicable) is necessary for holding this position and advance written permission from current employer is necessary before assigned duties.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number and the city applied for in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 25 May 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.