Vacancy Notice Number:
On Call Project Assistant (Fab-Lab)
Deadline of Applications:
03 June 2022
Number of Vacant Positions:
Internal & External Candidates
The Syria crisis is entering its fifth year and millions of Syrians continue to seek refuge in neighbouring countries including Turkey. It is estimated that over 12.2 million individuals inside Syria now require humanitarian assistance and 7.6 million are internally displaced (SRP 2015-2016). Over 4 million Syrians have fled as refugees (UNHCR).
As of 01 May 2016, Turkey is hosting over 2,7 million Syrian refugees. Over 260,000 reside in 25 camps (over 9% of the total Syrian refugees) across South East Turkey and the remaining live outside of camps (around 91%). Of the 2.5 million living outside of camps, the majority are spread across Turkey, with the majority residing in the border provinces, Sanliurfa, Hatay as well as Istanbul, Mersin, and Adana.
In October 2014, the Government of Turkey adopted the Temporary Protection (TP) Regulation that extends protection and assistance to all Syrians in Turkey and provides refugees with rights and duties and the framework to access health care, education, and social assistance.
IOM's strategy for Turkey as indicated in the 3RP (Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan) is three-pronged; firstly, i) provision of humanitarian assistance focusing on the distribution of food, non-food items, cash vouchers, winterization, and provision transportation, ii) to ease the burden on national and local structures through the establishment of multi-service community centres offering protection and social stabilization for the refugees as well as increase access to education and iii) supporting the resilience of refugees and host communities through livelihoods, community stabilization, shelter, and income-generating activities.
Under the overall supervision of Livelihoods senior project assistant in Gaziantep, and the direct supervision of Project Assistant (Livelihood in Fab-lab) the incumbent will provide support and follow up on the preparation and implementation of daily activities in the Resilience Innovation Facility (RIF).
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Resilience and innovation team in the implementation of all activities at the RIF.
- Assisting any kind of assessment (beneficiary, needs,.) using the required tools to collect data.
- Assist the livelihood project assistant at the Fab-Lab during the conduction of training such as BDS (business development services) training sessions and get in touch with the beneficiaries for any kind of follow-up in close coordination with the Fab-lab technical team.
- Support the RIF team to facilitate individual beneficiary interviews and data collection for business plan forms.
- Help to organize crowd control during IOM activities at the Resilience innovation facility.
- Assist the RIF Team in performing information provision sessions for the visitors at the Fab-lab.
- Perform informal translations as required and needed.
- Provide support in data entry and data collection using MS office applications such as excel or any related software application.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
- University degree in Business Administration, Social Science, Information Management, or in a related field from an accredited academic institution, with one of relevant professional experience; or;
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Previous experience in data collection and crowd control or relevant field experience.
- Previous experience using Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, etc.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with beneficiaries.
- Ability to set priorities and undertake new tasks quickly.
- Intercultural understanding, sensitivity, and adaptability.
- Ability to manage self under pressure and stress, and maintain ethical and professional conduct;
- Strives to achieve high-quality work and outcomes; analyses and finds creative solutions to problems.
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application, including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 03 June 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.