Vacancy Notice Number:
Malatya - Türkiye
Deadline of Applications:
5 December 2023
Number of Vacant Positions:
Internal & External Candidates
On the 6th of February 2023, Southeast Turkiye and Northwest Syria were hit by two earthquakes of 7.8 and 7.5, causing devastating results and leading to the death of more than 50,000 individuals and the injury of thousands of people. The earthquake led to the displacement of 14 million people, of which 1.75 million are refugees including Syrian refugees (UNHCR, 2023).
The Turkiye government declared a state of emergency in the affected provinces and established multiple container sites to host the affected community.
In the aftermath of the devastating earthquake, IOM have been supporting displaced Turkish citizens, refugees, and migrants through multiple projects, including Water Sanitation and Hygiene, Protection, Temporary Settlement Support, and other sectors.
Currently, IOM’s protection team is present in four of the most affected areas (Adiyaman, Malatya, Hatay, and Kahramanmaras), working closely with the Ministry of Family and Social Affairs, to provide assistance to affected community. The role of the translator is to support the protection team members in communication with refugees and migrants amidst language barrier challenges.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet migrants and refugees at different container sites, to provide them with information and connect them to the right team members.
- Assist the protection staff in providing necessary interpretation services for case management, group informative and sessions, training, among other activities.
- Accompany the protection staff in their field visits to provide necessary interpretation services,
- Accompany migrants and refugees in their visits to the local public institutions for necessary interpretation services, if required,
- Provide necessary translation services for informative materials (brochures, posters etc.) and participate meetings, trainings etc. to provide interpretation services,
- Work closely with the protection team and other team members, as needed,
- Keep and save all project related documents, monthly reports and its supporting documents in file,
- Enter project related data regularly and accurately to the database system,
- Ensure effective referal mechanism to the relevant public autorities, IOM, UN agencies, other NGOs, center’s social service consultant and follow up the referals,
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Communication, Language, Literature, Translation and Interpretation or in a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or;
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
·Proven experience in interpretation and translation, community outreach activities, or other emergency related programing;
·Experience in relevant field and in working with vulnerable groups;
·Proven analytical, communication, interpersonal and organizational skills; Good level of computer literacy Experience in liaising with migrant communities.
- Fluency in Turkish and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of English is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
• Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
• Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
• Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
• Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
• Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
• Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
• Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
• Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
• Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application, including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 5 December 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.