Vacancy Notice Number:
On Call Finance Assistant (Compliance)
Hourly Contract – 3 months with possible extension
Gaziantep - Turkey
Deadline of Applications:
29 January 2021
Number of Vacant positions:
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Compliance Officer and the direct supervision of the Senior Finance assistant (Compliance), the successful candidate will be responsible for support in the review of financial and related documents from implementing partners.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Familiarize with the nature of engagement with the implementing partner (IP) by reading the following documents:
- Project Implementation Agreement
- Narrative Proposal
- Approved Budget
- Take stock of financial documents received from IPs, indicating on each entry on the Transaction List the respective names or title of the supporting documents submitted.
- Review the supporting documents for the following:
- Matching the amount on the supporting document with the amount on the transaction list, including testing the mathematical computation.
- Check the allocation percentages indicated on the Transaction List are as per supporting documents.
- Check if invoices from vendors and service providers are duly stamped with “charged to IOM” at a certain percentage.
- Ensure that the expenditure has been incurred within the project period.
- Check the completeness of signatures on the payment vouchers, ensuring that names in print and positions are clearly written for each signature –
- Requisitioner (program or support unit)
- Unit Head
- Head of Office
- Examine the supporting documents for unusual marks and erasures, especially those relating to amounts on the purchase requisition, quotations, bid analysis sheet, purchase order, contracts and invoices.
- Identify missing supporting documents, if any.
- Prepare Issues Log for any clarification requested, missing documents, charges made outside of the project implementation period or outside the budget, noted discrepancies between the actual charges per transaction list and planned expenditure per approved budget, and any other matter requiring clarification.
- Follow through issues raised on the Issues Log and check the documents subsequently received from the IP.
- Prepare Financial Review Checklist, duly identifying the nature of each tickmark placed on the Transaction List, and submit to Senior Finance Assistant (Compliance) for review.
- Organize the hardcopy documents in a way that allows for tracing from Transaction List to the source payment vouchers or documents.
- Properly label the hardcopy files reviewed related to the financial reports.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Business Administration, Management, Finance, Accounting, or related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience
- Previous experience in finance and accounting or relevant work experience in business environment.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application, including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 29 January 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.