Vacancy Notice Number:
National Project Officer (Legal)
Ankara – Turkey
One Year Fixed Term Graded Contract (NOA)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
05 February 2021
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
EU-funded project Supporting Removal Centres' Capacities and Fostering Alternatives to Administrative Detention” project aims to strengthen the institutional capacity of DGMM in managing removal centres and developing pathways to alternatives to detention. Under the leadership of IOM, the project will be jointly implemented by IOM and UNHCR and the main beneficiary of the project is Ministry of Interior, Directorate General of Migration Management (DGMM).
Under the overall supervision of the Migration Management Coordinator and direct supervision of the Head of CMS Unit, and in close collaboration with the IBM RTS (Regional Office (RO) Vienna), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the coordination of the implementation of “Supporting Removal Centres' Capacities and Fostering Alternatives to Administrative Detention” project and will undertake other tasks assigned by the direct supervisor.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the head of CMS Unit in the overall coordination the project “Supporting Removal Centres' Capacities and Fostering Alternatives to Administrative Detention” activities, liaise with the stakeholders and take the responsibilities of the head of the Unit with regard to project (and other assigned projects, if any) in her absence.
- Provide all required assistance to the Head of CMS Unit in managing the mentioned project as well as other assigned projects/project components under CMS unit from initiation, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation (operational and financial) to closing as well as budgeting, project reporting (narrative, statistical and budgetary), project quality management, leading project teams, fundraising, and promoting project results to the public.
- Provide technical, legal and content support to the relevant project activities such as delivery of presentations during relevant training sessions; developing training materials, reviewing, editing, providing input to the draft SoPs, guidelines and other documents prepared by the consultants.
- In close cooperation with the direct supervisor, coordinate daily work and functions of assistants assigned to the relevant project.
- Coordinate planning and following up of logistical and administrative arrangements of the relevant project, including communication with co-implementer organization, and assist the implementation of other projects when requested.
- Coordinate monitoring of budget expenditures of the relevant project and regularly report to the direct supervisor.
- Prepare project-related reports
- Coordinate planning and implementation of projects’ activities incl. recruitment of consultants; preparation of programs of events; participation in reporting and M&E process of activities in close cooperation with the direct supervisor.
- Act as the focal point in liaising with respective beneficiary of the project, co-implementer and the donor as well as the other related stakeholders, and represent CMS unit when requested.
- Provide technical legal support to the Turkish Government in order to strengthen its capacity in addressing irregular migration in general, detention and alternatives to detention in particular.
- Provide assistance in coordinating on-going and planned projects and activities of CMS Unit through technical monitoring and administrative and financial overview ensuring the proper application of a monitoring system to track progress on programme results and indicators.
- Support Head of CMS Unit in the planning, timely implementation, evaluation, reporting of the activities conducted under the Unit.
- Participate in national and international meetings and conferences when requested, prepare meeting reports/minutes and draft concept papers in coordination with the direct supervisor.
- Identify potential areas of new initiatives and interventions of IOM CMS unit, liaise with the relevant governmental and other stakeholders at national and local levels.
- Regularly research, follow-up, compile, analyse and share information/data on national, regional and international developments, reports, legislation and other relevant documentation on migration relevant to work of CMS Unit,
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Head of CMS Unit or Migration Management Coordinator.
- Master’s degree in law, international relations, political science or public administration from an accredited academic institution or university degree in Law the above fields with minimum two years of relevant professional experience.
- Specific focus on such thematic areas, irregular migration, migrant smuggling, detention and alternatives to detention is highly desirable
- Experience in project management in the field of, migration management, human rights or similar area;
- Experience in liaising with national governmental and non-governmental authorities as well as with international institutions/organizations;
- Sound and proven understanding of internal and international migration related issues from an legal and policy perspective;
- Familiarity with financial and business administration;
- Having analytical and problem-solving skills, including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of issues/problems; and,
- Solid written communication (drafting of project proposals, reports, letters etc.) skills.
- Previous experience in management and coordination of EU funded projects (especially under IPA instrument) is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Turkey will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Turkey by the end of 05 February 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.