Vacancy Notice Number:
National Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (NOA)- with possible extension
Ankara - Türkiye
Deadline of Applications:
3 October 2023
Number of Vacant Positions:
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Development Officer and direct supervision of the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer based in Ankara, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting all aspects of projects/programmes/strategy Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), as well as reporting requirements.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in collecting, maintaining, and analyzing various data for M&E activities.
- File and compile reports that will be produced for the projects/programmes/strategy and keep track of reporting schedules in line with the donor reporting requirements as well as IOM’s institutional reporting such as the Institutional Questionnaire (IQ).
- Assist in the design, comment and/or implementation of special assessments, reports, surveys, and operational research.
- Conduct preliminary analysis of findings of monitoring and evaluation exercises. Draft specific inputs as assigned for the development of the internal mission guidance on feedback mechanisms and accountability.
- Keep track of the status of indicators that were set for the project/programme/strategy, including IOM Strategic Results Framework (SRF) indicators.
- Review the availability and quality of existing social and economic data related to the project/programme area, the methods for collecting them and the degree to which they can provide baseline statistics and reference for project/programme design, monitoring and evaluation.
- Flag and bring to the attention of the Project/Programme Manager, delays or challenges regarding data quality or compliance issues with the IOM, donor, or partners M&E requirements.
- Participate in specific field monitoring missions as assigned to support data collection according to the monitoring plans and tools and risk monitoring processes.
- Provide backstopping support and technical support and training for the Project/Programme Manager or the Project Officers and Project Development and Reporting Officers to strengthen M&E capacity at the country level.
- Prepare inputs for project/initiative development according to specific needs and situation analysis in accordance with IOM standards for project development and related M&E and RBM policies and guidance, in close coordination with the support unit focal points and Monitoring and Evaluation Officer.
- Coordinate and follow-up of evaluation (external/internal) of projects, including ToR design, Request for Expression of Interest, evaluation inception meetings, implementation, and dissemination phase and ensure that evaluation reports are made available to main stakeholders and donors in line with the policy of disclosure, and where relevant, are made public.
- Keep abreast of developments in IOM’s Evaluation and Monitoring and Results-based Management (RBM) functions to ensure compliance with IOM strategies and institutional monitoring and reporting requirements, including for the SRF, the IQ, PRIMA and other M&E frameworks and planning tools.
- In coordination with the relevant units and Focal Points of the CO, support the “do no harm” principle and work to promote Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) approaches through awareness-raising and the development of effective accountability mechanisms in line with IOM’s global standards.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Development, International Relations, Political or Social Sciences, Statistics, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least two years of relevant professional experience.
- Significant experience in M&E and reporting in alignment with donor’s/UN requirements;
- Significant experience in application of IOM/UN rules, regulations and procedures; and,
- Experience with project development, donor liaison, report writing and capacity-building activities;
- Strong reporting, writing and research skills, preferably related to M&E;
- Sound and proven understanding of the country and region's internal and international migration issues;
- In-depth knowledge of the broad range of migration-related subject areas dealt with by the organization;
- Excellent communication and analytical skills;
- A high degree of judgment and initiative, ability to work with a high degree of independence within assigned areas;
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills; and,
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of diverse cultural and national backgrounds of diverse cultural and national backgrounds.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of Turkish and Arabic is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability, and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
• Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
• Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
This is a local position and applications from candidates for non-Turkish citizens holding a valid residence permit residing in Türkiye might be considered.
Please be advised that female candidates are highly encouraged.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sokak No:24 Cankaya, Ankara by the end of 3 October 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.