Position Name: Lawyer
Duty Station: Samsun, Türkiye
Contract Period: Date to hire until 15 September 2020
RET Turkey works on bridging the gap between humanitarian and development assistance, focusing primarily on vulnerable and marginalised youth residing within country. RET envisions a world in which vulnerable young people overcome multidimensional adversities and are capacitated to lead their own journey towards rebuilding more resilient and peaceful communities. To achieve this goal, RET relies on two decades of experience bridging humanitarian and developmental approaches to act efficiently within our main areas of interventions.
Towards that end, RET has invested in designing evidence-based cross-cutting assistance interventions that aim, among other things, at:
- Countering the marginalisation of vulnerable adolescents by endorsing“a gender-balanced approach”to youth agency pillared around: (i) cultivating leadership congruent with fostering youth peace ambassadorship; (ii) designing and administering technical and vocational capacity building modules conducive to economic integration; and (iii) supporting youth resilience and socio-educational programming (including basic education), as a conduit for conflict transformation and sustainable peace building.
- Responding to the lack of conflict mitigation mechanisms by building “cross-cultural bridges” between host and displaced communities through: (i) creating platforms for inter-communal and cross-generational dialogue and confidence building; and (ii) promoting youth civic empowerment, peer-to-peer mentoring and anti- violence advocacy initiatives that encourage social cohesion and bolster community resilience; and
- Preventing violent extremism through the: (i) promotion of democratic values and practices via educational programming and learning for responsible citizenship; and (ii) provisioning of psychosocial support and counselling.
Since 2014, RET Turkey has been amongst the forefront responders to Syrian crisis, reaching out to over 200’000 beneficiaries, whilst implementing a broad range of interventions, in the fields of: (i) Education; (ii) Community-Based Protection, (iii) Child Protection; (iv) Livelihoods & Self-Reliance; (v) Social Cohesion; (vi) Youth Empowerment; and (vii) Institutional Strengthening /Capacity Building of local and public partners. RET' s mission is to alleviate suffering and catalyzes sustainable development, in crises, conflicts and fragile contexts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and Conduct legal counseling sessions for Refugees and Asylum Seekers in Turkey under Temporary Protection and International Protection.
- Keep abreast of national legal and policy changes regarding International Protection in particular, regarding rights to work, housing, property and documentation of Refugees and Asylum Seekers in Turkey under Temporary Protection and International Protection and draft briefs for management.
- Support project members, in particular Protection Assistants about disseminating policy changes in relevant legal procedures and in preparing service mappings of protection services being provided by other actors.
- Engage with the refugee community to identify the gaps in knowledge regarding rights and access to services and update legal counseling sessions.
Required Skills and Experience
- Native in Turkish is mandatory
- Working knowledge in English
- Any other language (Arabic, Kurdish) is an asset
- At least university degree in law
- 1-2 years of experience preferably in a Non-Governmental Organization in the areas of law
- PC proficiency, including Word processing (MS Word or equivalent)
- Flexibility in responding to urgent needs and tasks
- Ability to prioritize work and to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Attention to details and cultural differences and contexts
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility in the working hours
- Excellent organizing and planning skills
Note: Due to the urgency to fill this post, RET reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged. RET is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.