Vacancy Notice Number:
Human Resources Specialist
Gaziantep - Türkiye
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G6) – with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
7 June 2023
Number of People to be hired
Internal and External
Under the administrative supervision of Resource Management Officer based in Gaziantep and direct supervision of National Human Resources Officer based in Ankara the incumbent will provide human resources support to IOM Gaziantep and its field offices.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in evaluation of staffing needs in the office and assist in coordination of recruitment processes, including but not limited to, providing guidance to hiring managers on preparation of Terms of Reference, drafting and posting Vacancy Notice/Special Vacancy Notice, screening and shortlisting applications, drafting interview protocols, preparing and administering written tests, taking part in interview panels as assigned, drafting candidates assessment forms, conducting reference checks, preparing job offers, administering recruitment mailbox, etc.
- Carry-out and coordinate pre-employment activities such as preparation of Entry on Duty (EOD) documentation and collection of supporting documentation, coordination of EOD medical exams and follow-up with Health Insurance Medical Service (Manila or Panama) on medical clearance, coordinate enrollment in insurance plans as appropriate, coordination and delivery of induction sessions, arrangement for security briefing, etc.
- Perform assigned role(s) in PRISM HR paying special attention to data consistency and accuracy; input, maintain and verify data based on approvals and supporting documentation; verify eligibility for allowances and other benefits, monitor and follow up on contractual situation and entitlements, and initiate and coordinate prompt actions; generate, edit and review reports, contract extensions, personnel actions and other related documentation.
- Monitor attendance and leave administration; generate, edit and analyse leave-related reports; respond to questions concerning leave administration; guide staff on request and approval procedure in PRISM.
- Carry-out and monitor a wide range of Human Resource actions including but not limited to preparation of documentation for separation, classification, reclassification, promotion, disciplinary cases and coordinate with the Regional Office, Administrative Centers and Human Resource Management in Geneva as appropriate.
- Prepare, coordinate and monitor all reports on personnel matters and submit timely to concerned parties; draft and review routine correspondence, letters, certifications, etc.; create and maintain a systematic way to archive Human Resources documents (electronic and hard copies). Update and maintain electronic and physical archiving systems in the unit including personnel files with all supporting documentation, recruitment files, Human Resources policies, regulations, guidelines and manuals, internal controls, etc.
- Monitor compliance with the Staff Evaluation System and follow-up with staff and supervisor as needed; facilitate compliance by providing technical guidance on the use of the system.
- Plan and coordinate the organization of Human Resources events including staff development and training activities in coordination with the Staff Development and Learning Unit and maintain updated records. Participate in assessments of staff training and development needs.
- Provide information to staff on their entitlements and responsibilities in line with IOM regulations, instructions and procedures. Respond to standard and more complex inquiries and refer the most sensitive ones as appropriate.
- Identify areas for improvement and highlight them to the supervisor; provide inputs for new procedures to complement or to adapt existing ones taking into consideration the specific needs of the office. Assist in analyzing and resolving sensitive cases by collating background information, preparing summaries and sharing best practices. Provides comments on interpretation
- Participate in inter-agency Human Resources related working groups as assigned.
- Provide guidance and training to and coordinate and monitor work of new/junior staff in the unit.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Psychology or related field with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail, Outlook; previous experience in SAP is a distinct advantage;
- Attention to detail, ability to organize paperwork in a methodical way;
- Discreet, details and clients-oriented, patient and willingness to learn new things; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Minimum four years of HR experience is required.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
- Working knowledge of Arabic is advantageous.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- UInclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
•Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
This is a local position and applications from candidates for non-Turkish citizens holding a valid residence permit residing in Türkiye might be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 7 June 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- National Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
- Senior Project Assistant (CS)-re-advertised
- Consultant (IT)-re-advertised
- Finance Assistant
- Project Field Coordinator
- Project Assistant (CS) - re-advertised
- Senior Project Assistant (Cash-Based Interventions (CBI))-re-advertised
- ICT Intern-re-advertised
- Field Security Associate
- Procurement and Logistics Assistant
- Procurement and Logistics Assistant-re-advertised
- ICT Intern (FabLab)-re-advertised
- Senior Project Assistant (Cash-Based Interventions (CBI))-re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Livelihood)-re-advertised
- Project Support Assistant (Cash-Based Interventions (CBI))-re-advertised
- Security Intern
- Migration Health Nurse-re-advertised