Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential.We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised $2 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, ensuring that they are able to survive, learn and be protected whatever their circumstances, including in times of humanitarian crisis.
As part of our strategic plan to reach ‘Every Last Child’, we have made it a global priority to build humanitarian, advocacy and campaigning capability, to become truly global – driving stronger and more diversified funding, and to maximize the use of our knowledge, systems, capacity and culture. We are doing whatever it takes to reach the world’s most excluded children. With your help we can ensure the world puts children first, and that we can tackle the barriers that prevent them from surviving and thriving. We won’t stop until every last child survives and fulfills their potential.
The HR & Child safeguarding Co-ordinator will be expected to provide generalist HR support and dedicated support to partner organizations in capacity building and implementing Child safeguarding actions. The role holder will work as part of the HR and Child safeguarding team across the Syria Response office
Level 3: the role holders will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively(e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Head of Office
Staff directly reporting to this post: HR and Admin Officer
Location: Hatay preferably with visits to Istanbul and Gaziantep.
***Please note that Istanbul and Gaziantep based applications will also be considered for this position.
Close working relationship with the National Child Safeguarding Co-ordinator
Role Dimension: Save the Childrencurrently responds to the Syria crisis from three different access (Turkey and Iraq) points, with the intention of consolidating all Syria programming through a single Syria office based in Amman. This role will support the North West area office team in CSG and HR issues
Contract length: 12 months
Location: Hatay with visits to Gaziantep and Istanbul
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Human Resources(50% time allocation)
· Provide generalist HR service to managers across a full range of HR issues in recruitment (and deployments), induction, performance management, Learning& Development.
· Responsible for full recruitment cycle – sourcing, interviewing and on-boarding.
· Together with Head of Office, ensure that the area office has an L+D plan in place together with the budget to fulfill plans
- Responsible for the day to day engagement, trouble shooting and liaison with the outsourced payroll company
- Handle and advise on people management issues
- Make use of all available policy, practice, checklists and guidelines (HR minimum standards, emergencies HR toolkits) and ensure Save the Children good practice is in place for the Northwest Syria Office
- Maintain standard tools for recruitment (job descriptions, interview questions, selection grids, etc), conduct job evaluations as needed.
· Ensure that performance management system and related processes are carried out consistently, objective setting and reviews are set up and done
· Support line managers to promptly manage under performance including developing performance improvement plans and disciplinary sanctions as needed
· Ensure compliance with local regulations and labour law, Liaise with local labour authorities
· Facilitate conflict resolution between staff or between managers and where needed in co-ordination with the main office support in in resolving grievances
- Deliver refresher trainings and inductions for Anti harrassment and bullying as appropriate and support anti-harassment focal points in their roles.
- Review, strengthen, implement employee safeguarding systems within the North West office and for partner agencies
- Ensure that employee safeguarding actions are implemented and followed through
Child safeguarding (50%-time allocation)
- Identify potential risks to children in all project activities (proposal design stage) including workshops and events, plan mitigating measures and assign staff responsible for implementation.
- Undertake clear, strong advocacy in line with the Child Safeguarding Policy for the Northwest office and implementing partners.
- Deliver high quality, accessible and reliable support, guidance and capacity for child safeguarding focal points of implementing partners
- Establish child safeguarding networks within partner organizations to champion local implementation
- Ensure that local procedures for the North West Office are kept up to date at all times
- Coach and support partner focal points in order to improve Child Safeguarding practices.
- Support and provide guidance to the Area Child safeguarding committee ensuring that key actions agreed are implemented.
- In close collaboration with the National Child safeguarding Co-ordinator, follow up on actions included in the Child safeguarding plan
Country roll-out and maintenance of training programmes
- In collaboration with the National Child safeguarding co-ordinator deliver mandatory core training Child safeguarding workshops as to enable staff and partners with key responsibilities to undertake their roles and mainstream safeguarding functions
- Deliver CSG refresher trainings and inductions as appropriate for staff, suppliers, partners
- In collaboration with the National Child safeguarding co-ordinator review, strengthen, implement Child Safeguarding systems with partner agencies
- Develop capacity building plan for staff and partners and provide on-going mentoring and support
- Build the capacity of focal points to be deliver CSG inductions and trainings, manage & undertake investigation, receiving and recording reports
Safe programming and Child Safeguarding Practice promoted in the North West Area Office
- Serve as child safeguarding focal point and collaborate with the National Child safeguarding Co-ordinator on establishment of strong child safeguarding procedures and risk assessment in all programme activities
- Ensure that all Child safeguarding concerns are reported effectively and uploaded on the online portal DATIX and proactively followed up to the required standards.
- Ensure that lessons learnt and management actions highlighted from Child safeguarding cases are followed up
- Organize and follow up with the Area Child safeguarding Committee on aspects of integration of Child safeguarding within various departments.
- In co-ordination with the National Child safeguarding co-ordinator lead on Child Safeguarding investigations in the area office, ensuring proper guidance is provided to investigation committees, risks assessments are properly carried in challenging environments and to rigorous timescales and standards.
- Support staff to take proactive steps to ensure that all programming activity identifies the potential risks and works to eliminate and mitigate those risks.
- Collaborate with the awards and proposal development teams to ensure CSG risks are properly analysed, mitigation measures identified and budgeted for accordingly.
- Ensure that the tools and knowledge is made available to managers and that they know how to access support and guidance
Contribute to building the capacity of partners on child safeguarding:
- In coordination with the Partnership focal point and Head of Office, support learning and training needs for Save the Children partners in child safeguarding and provide the needed coaching and trainings.
- Input into the design of training material in coordination with the partnership team, National CSG Co-ordinator and make sure it reflects partners’ needs and requirements
· Conduct Follow-up face-to-face or Skype meetings with partners to evaluate and measure results
· Write reports and provide recommendations for follow-up and for future capacity building activities
· Monitor, in coordination with the National CSG CO-ordinator and partnership unit, the progress made in Child safeguarding and capacity building activities provided.
· Keep an updated record of all trainings conducted.
Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding,Anti-harassment & Bullying, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Qualification in Human Resources/ Business Management/ Administration or equivalent
- At least 3 years work experience in Human Resources
- Experience within an INGO or similar other organisation working with vulnerable children or with similar experience within Save the Children.
- Experience of managing complex child protection/safeguarding investigations and or disciplinary investigations
- Ability to prioritize and deliver results against demanding timetables and in the face of competing demands
- Ability to provide remote support and establish supportive relationships and networks
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills
- Computer literate, with high degree of proficiency and productivity
- Ability to work comfortably and effectively, either at own initiative or under direction;
- Fluency in English, written and spoken. Turkish and Arabic is highly desired.
- Ability to work in a team/independently.
- Previous HR experience in INGO s is preferable.
Ability to travel to area offices for the Syria response office
Please note that SCI is recruiting on behalf of a 3rd party contractor for this position.
Applications from Turkish, Syrian and Jordanian nationals are preferred.
CHILD SAFE GUARDING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form and comply with the SCIs Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
Benefits Package provided to National Staff:
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position.
- Transportation allowance
- Annual leave
- Private Medical insurance.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Please apply in English by sending your up to date CV with a cover letter as a single document explaining your salary expectations. The advertisement will be closed on February 12th, 2019 at 5:30 PM (Turkey local time).
Please kindly be informed that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.