General Description of the Programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organization has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalized migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
The Food Security and Livelihoods Manager “FSL Manager” will sit within the Cross-Border Program team for projects implemented in northern Syria for GOAL’s food kits distribution, nutrition activities and livelihoods. The post holder will be based in Antakya. Under the Food Security & Livelihoods Coordinator supervision, the FSL manager will work with program team and implementing partners operational in Syria to ensure program objectives and activities are implemented per defined work plans. In addition, it is expected that the FSL manager will ensure that all grants for which s/he is focal point are implemented in a manner that ensures the highest accountability standards and compliance for internal (partners, client/beneficiaries and GOAL office. The Post Holder is responsible for managing the human, material, and financial resources of the project and ensuring smooth coordination internally and externally. The post holder will be expected to also mentor and/or build the capacity of project staff.
Duties, objectives, and competencies
Programme Design and Strategy
- Serve as point person for the project and provide strategic and technical leadership to GOAL staff and partners for all its components.
- Liaise with local partners, NGOs, and other relevant entities for coordination and implementation
- Identify geographical areas of interest to the organization according to humanitarian needs and vulnerable population context.
- Contribute to the development of concept notes and proposals for GOAL and partners destined for submission to donors.
Programme Management and Implementation
- Directly line manage the Senior In-Kind Officer and in coordination with the FSL Coordinator provide support to the Food Security & bakery teams in Syria.
- Develop appropriate targeting criteria and mechanisms to ensure the needs of identified vulnerable groups are met.
- Ensure monitoring of food security and livelihood projects (field visit, regular programme monitoring, budget forecast, staff evaluation and planning, donors reports, monthly reports, etc.)
- Maintaining projects budgets and tracking expenditures/transactions.
- Communicating with the field team in Syria on a daily basis to confirm the progress of activities as per the programme plan
Programme Quality and Compliance
- In close coordination with the FSL Coordinator and MEAL/MIS departments, contribute into quarterly and annual reviews of learnings gleaned through programme data and reports and MEAL mechanisms.
- Responsible to develop a detailed Term of Reference (TOR) for FSL projects.
- Contribute to the development of all monitoring tools, particularly all distribution and post distribution tools.
- Translation of all field reports from Arabic into English to feed into the information management system of GOAL’s FSL programme and GOAL / Donors periodic reports
Procurement and Supply Chain
- Contribute into the Development and implementation of the procurement plans
- Contribute into quality assurance of all programme items by ensuring all donor and GOAL standard testing is carried out in a timely manner
- Work with the FSL Coordinator to address all programme issues reported at field level and assist in the timely reporting of this to the FS & Nutrition Advisor, HoP and donors
- Liaise with other departments including finance/administration, procurement and human resource departments to ensure adequate support for all project activities.
- Ensure information is circulated to the field teams and Partners appropriately.
- Support the grant department with input for donor reports and proposals.
- Coordinate and follow up with support departments (logistic, human resources, media and MEAL)
- Represent GOAL in all relevant FSL coordination Cluster meetings and coordinate closely with NGOs in the ground to avoid overlaps and follow up with the context.
Documentation and Reporting
- Review all daily, weekly, and monthly reports submitted at field level by GOAL and partners and provide timely feedback on reports and follow up on corrective actions.
- Contribute to all donor monthly, quarterly, and annual reports before submission to donors and ensure required information is gathered accurately and timely.
- Maintain files and archives of Food security Support program documentation, including catchment population, distribution, and reconciliation records.
- Ensure timely and accurate updates to the MEAL departments on planned and completed activities.
- Commitment to beneficiary accountability & humanitarian principles and Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy
- University degree in Food or Agriculture engineering, Projects Management, Business Administration, or related field.
- At least 2 - 4 years of experience in Food security & Livelihood related field, particularly in designing and implementing innovative programming such as Vocational training & Apprenticeships, entrepreneurship, and Agricultural Livelihoods.
- Strong analytical and writing skills. Experience of proposal writing, log frame development and donor reporting.
- Strong experience in budget management.
- Fluent written and spoken in English and Arabic language skills.
- The ability and willingness to travel to Northern Syria to GOAL area of operation, particularly Azaz and Afrin in North Aleppo
- Strong capacity building skills and experience.
- Experience of remote management.
- Experience of working with local partners.
- Experience in technical capacity building, including supervision, training and coaching staff and partners in FSL.
- Strong computer skills with particular competencies with Microsoft Office applications (including MS office and Power BI).
- Knowledge of GOAL’s target areas in Idlib and Aleppo governorates and understanding of the humanitarian crisis in Syria
- Turkish language will be an assist.
- Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
- Applications are strongly encouraged from female candidates.
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the "apply now" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 26 October 2020.
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households. GOAL worked in Turkey in 2015-2016 to respond to the Health needs of Syrians in Turkey and will resume programming in Turkey in 2018 with a focus on Protection needs.