Vacancy Notice Number:
Istanbul – Türkiye
One Year Fixed Term Contract (G5)- with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
6 October 2023
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Under the overall supervision of Head of Sub-Office in Istanbul and direct supervision of the National Administrative and Finance Officer in Sub-Office in Istanbul, the incumbent will be responsible for providing finance support services to the mission’s activities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and verify supporting documents for all payment requests submitted toFinance Unit while ensuring correctness of disbursements and adherence toIOM accounting rules and procedures.
- Ascertain that equipment, supplies and services are delivered before anypayments are initiated.
- Reviews all types of payments starting from purchases to payment requestsverifying that they are duly authorized, and all the supporting documents areattached.
- Ensure travel claims by the staff are in accordance with IOM travel guidelines,correct DSA rates and monthly exchange rates are applied, and propersupporting documentation is provided for each claim.
- Enter transactions in PRISM by using proper T-code with correct GL and applyproper distribution of cost as per WBS provided in the payment request. Checkupdated WBS lines for budget purposes in PRISM on regular basis.
- Update Movements & Operations Units, and other related departments for theusage of correct/updated WBSs related to operational lines.
- Verify all outstanding Finance issues pertaining the Istanbul and Edirne utilityusages are cleared for the purpose of monthly closure of accounts in order toassist IOM Ankara Finance Unit.
- Coordinate the transmission of supporting documents to Ankara while ensuringthat copies are retained in Istanbul for audit purposes.
- Participate in improving internal controls systems, the efficiency and timelydelivery of finance services in the sub-office.
- Prepare weekly payment schedule within the highest coordination with otherdepartments (i.e AVRR, Operations, CO/PDO and MHAC) includingcoordinating last-minute requests related to any kind of operational advanceexpenditure.
- Carry-out weekly operational advance calculations and coordinate the advancerequests with Ankara Finance Unit and related banks.
- Perform operational advance cash payments to beneficiaries while assistingother departments (i.e AVRR, Operations, CO/PDO and MHAC) to ensure thenecessary level of coordination between Finance Unit and the departments.
- Carry-out the weekly cash count with National Finance and AdministrativeOfficer for the operational advance and keep the vendor account balance atminimum by preparing the payment documents on timely manner.
- Verify that all operational advance expenditure documentation is in compliancewith the IOM guidelines.
- Assist in the preparation of financial and statistical reports as required
- Ensure the compliance with IOM policies and procedures for finance relatedmatters by updating the processes as outlined in FMRP guidelines incoordination with the National Finance and Administrative Officer
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in preferably in Accounting, Commerce or in a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience.
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Knowledge in financial and cash handling task.
- Familiar with excel spreadsheets, work processing and other computertools.
- Possess strong organizational and communication skills; detail oriented,committed, efficient and flexible.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
•Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction, and other differences.
•Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
•Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate ethics in daily work and decision making.
•Challenges prejudice, biases, and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
•Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
•Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
•Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
•Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
•Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
•Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
•Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
•Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
•Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
•Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 1
• Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
• Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
• Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
• Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
•Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
•Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
•Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and adjusting as necessary.
•Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
•Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
•Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
•Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
•Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
•Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
•Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
•Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
•Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
This is a local position and applications from candidates for non-Turkish citizens holding a valid residence permit residing in Türkiye might be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 6 October 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.