Vacancy Notice Number:
Field Security Associate
Sanliurfa - Türkiye
6 Months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G6) – with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
10 October 2023
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External
The Office of Staff Security (OSS) is responsible for providing leadership on security policy management and Country Office operational support to enable effective implementation and delivery of IOM programmes and activities, while managing security risks at acceptable levels.
Under the direct supervision of the Field Security Officer (FSO) in Gaziantep, and the technical supervision Field Security Officer based in the Ankara, and the administrative supervision of the Head of Office (HoO), the successful candidate will be responsible for providing specialized support to enable IOM’s activities and assist the Field Security Officer with all aspects of security risk management.
The incumbent will support the Field Security Officer in establishing and maintaining an appropriate level of security awareness in Türkiye.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with country United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) office, host government agencies, and local authorities responsible for security, in order to obtain up-to-date security-related information that is beneficial to IOM operations in Turkiye.
- Assist the Field Security Officer in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in Turkiye. Carry out the adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for a proper analysis of the situation.
- Support the Field Security Officer in the development and implementation of IOM Country Office-specific security plans including contingency and emergency response plans, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), including providing security-related inputs into the Business Continuity Plan (BCP).
- Assist the Field Security Officer with the conduct of the Security Risk Management (SRM) and the monitoring of the security measures implementation as recommended in the Security Risk Management (SRM) process for the area of operation, in close coordination with the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS).
- Provide support in conducting security evaluations and provide advice on Residential Security Measures (RSM) to IOM personnel, as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security.
- Support the effective management of the Country Office Warden system, by maintaining updated staff lists, including call sign lists, and ensuring the overall operability of communications systems particularly SCAAN. Assist in ensuring that all relevant safety and security information is disseminated in a timely manner to IOM personnel.
- Assist in reporting security incidents affecting IOM personnel, premises, assets, and operational activities in Turkiye. This includes providing support in the preparation of security reports such as Security Incident Reports and Weekly Reports.
- Provides support in organizing and conducting training courses on security awareness and preparedness and providing security orientation to newly assigned IOM personnel in the duty station. Conducts security briefings, as required.
- Maintain an orderly filing system for confidential correspondence, security files/documents. This includes maintaining a database on contact details of country UNDSS office and host country security authorities.
- In coordination with the Field Security Officer, implement IOM Turkiye security measures, verify that access control procedures are effective, and propose any necessary improvements.
- Provide assistance in the conduct and follow up of investigations and incidents affecting IOM personnel, premises and assets.
- Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UN security offices and residences to facilitate the effective and efficient use of the guard force.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in Security, Social Sciences, International Studies, Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience;
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Relevant professional experience in the UN Security Management System (UNSMS) or an international NGO is an advantage;
- Experience in providing security orientation/briefing is desirable;
- Experience in dealing with law enforcement agencies is an advantage;
- Experience in the use of radio communications is highly desirable;
- Successful completion of the Field Security Associate course is an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Teams) is required;
- Proven ability to collaborate with senior government security counterparts and civil, humanitarian and other relevant stakeholders; and the,
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with a team of diverse professional backgrounds is required. The ability to handle a heavy workload efficiently with minimal supervision and understanding the importance of close teamwork is highly regarded.
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:
Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
• Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
• Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
• Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Integrity and transparency:
Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
• Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
• Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
• Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
• Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
• Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
• Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
• Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Delivering results:
•Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
•Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
• Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization's vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
- Empowering others and building trust:
•Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
- Strategic thinking and vision:
• Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
This is a local position and applications from candidates for non-Turkish citizens holding a valid residence permit residing in Türkiye might be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 10 October 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
 As applicable.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.