Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Economic Recovery Manager - East.
About the Job
At the heart of DRC’s economic recovery programming in Turkey is the quest to achieve greater economic self- reliance and resilience of displacement-affected populations based on human rights as well as a more long-term focus on social cohesion with host communities to prevent and reduce protection threats and build resilience.
To strengthen activities, DRC seeks to use data-driven, market-based and sectoral interventions that create more sustainable impact for displacement-affected population through dignified and safe income generation activities. Current program activities include: 1) livelihood counselling 2) language and vocational skills training to improve and/or diversify vulnerable peoples’ skillsets to increase employability 3) facilitation of short- and long-term employment with subsidies 4) productive asset support 5) entrepreneurship support through skills training and business grants. DRC also values strong private sector engagement both by mainstreaming it in its existing economic recovery interventions and through active search for alternative collaboration schemes.
DRC Turkey is therefore seeking to hire an experienced, qualified and energetic Economic Recovery Manager to execute its existing and potential economic recovery interventions in southeast Turkey. The position will be based in Kilis. The successful candidate will:
- Have the overall responsibility for the day-to-day management of DRC’s livelihood sector projects within geographical area of responsibility (Şanlıurfa and Kilis) including relevant sector implementing partner engagement,
- S/he will contribute in program design, monitoring and evaluation as well country and program strategy development process,
- S/he will be responsible for building the capacity, coaching and managing field staff within geographical area of responsibility.
- S/he will lead active private sector engagement
S/he will work under the line management of Area Manager, and the technical supervision of the Economic Recovery Coordinator.
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the geographic area of operations. The role contributes to the development of sector country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and technical guidance to area operations while overseeing area level activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall management of Area Manager and the technical supervision of the Economic Recovery Coordinator,
- Identify capacity building needs among the DRC and partner staff
- Line management of field livelihood team: staff coaching and professional development- people planning, performance management and well-being
- Contributing to the development of the content and module of the capacity building trainings for field staff
- Conducting regular performance appraisal for the field staff
Management of economic recovery sector projects
- Oversee the timely implementation of economic recovery activities under geographical area of responsibility in compliance with project proposals and donor requirements
- Ensure compliance with activity SOPs, tools and relevant DRC policies to assure program quality
- Identify key technical priorities to address and or improve project related activities
- Extend technical guidance to partner field management and staff through regular coordination with the partner management to ensure timely and quality implementation of activities under partner responsibility
- Lead regular program progress monitoring and budget reviews for the grants responsible for and develop and execute timely mitigation actions under the supervision of Area Manager
Monitoring, reporting and quality assurance
- Develop program monitoring tools with the support and in collaboration with the Economic Recovery Coordinators and MEAL department.
- Periodically report to the Area Manager and to the Economic Recovery Programme Coordinator.
- Provide quality control and site monitoring to ensure that services provided are according to standards
- Support and coordinate required assessments in collaboration with other stakeholders to inform program design and strategic direction
- Through pre-discussions with Technical Coordinators and Grants Coordinator, contribute to the development of quality proposal developments, concept notes and budgets.
- Provide input to region-specific analyses (e.g: stakeholder mapping, partner mapping, country program strategies)
External coordination and representation
- Share relevant project information with stakeholders including Chamber of Commerce & Industry,
İŞKUR, Development Agencies and Business Associations.
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings at the area level
- Explore new business opportunities and partnerships.
- Participate in field level livelihood cluster working group meeting
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 4 employees. This includes initiating/recommending hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, advice of country Economic Recovery Coordinator and in consultation with the Area Manager.
To be successful in this role, you must have a Master’s degree in social sciences, international development, business administration, economics, political science or another related field.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
• At least 5 years of experience in livelihood or economic development related projects, including 2 years of experience in project design and management or capacity building for economic strengthening project(s).
• At least 3 years' experience with people management.
• Experience and demonstrated interest in sustainable livelihoods, economic strengthening, and economic development for vulnerable populations.
Knowledge and skills
• Strong, developed leadership ability.
• Effective as a team player.
• Full professional proficiency in written and spoken English and Turkish, Arabic is an asset
• Exceptional ability in written and oral communications and presentation skills.
• Excellent training skills.
• Highly organized and analytical thinker.
• Self-starter with strong initiative.
• Proactive, creative problem-solver.
• Flexible and productive under pressure.
• Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities; UN organizations
• Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing
• Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Demonstrated experience in project implementation, budget monitoring and report writing
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment
Preferred experience and competencies
- Previous experience in case management
- University degree in sociology, social work, international affairs, law, humanitarian action or related field
- Strong communication skills to engage with refugee community and service providers
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 Months
Employment Band: F
Designation of Duty Station: Kilis Office
Start date: 01.09.2022
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 12.08.2022
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!