Cultural Mediator – Arabic speaking
Citizens Assembly is looking for a skilled Cultural Mediator to help us provide quality service to our beneficiaries. This position is a great opportunity for you to gain experience in the humanitarian sector and develop your skills. You will also be an important member of our team focusing on migrants who has been ill-treated to help them heal both psychological and physical.
You will be working in Nefes center located in Fatih and also you will be helping our beneficiaries when they have to go to external clinics and hospitals. Your main responsibilities as a Cultural Mediator will be to interpret in Arabic, Turkish and English in psychologist counselling sessions and in medical case management sessions in external clinics and hospitals our beneficiaries are going.
We expect you to share our humanitarian values to offer assistance to people based on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. In Citizens Assembly we treat our patients with dignity, and with respect for their cultural and religious beliefs.
Your tasks as Cultural Mediator includes:
- Work closely with any of the practitioners (social workers, doctors, psychologists, physiotherapist and receptionist) to deliver complete and accurate translation and interpretation on their sessions with the beneficiaries to enable culturally sensitive case management
- Assist the practitioners on effective methods of culturally sensitive communication and informing them about local customs, tradition, etc.
- Participates in the case discussions providing inputs and shares observation on a beneficiary
- Translate written texts including documents, short stories or any others when needed
- Accompanies the patient to external services for referral, when required
We are looking for a dedicated person who has the right personality and wants to help our beneficiaries gain a better life. We do expect our candidates to have the following requirements.
- Cultural awareness of our Arabic speaking beneficiaries
- Excellent Arabic language skills, both written and verbal
- High level Turkish and English, both written and verbal
- Strong mental mindset
- Turkish citizenship or temporary protection card
- Experience working with vulnerable groups and/or working with translation is an asset
- Full time position (Monday to Friday from 09:00-18:00)
- 6 month contract (Renewable)
- Location: Istanbul
We require all applicants to write a cover letter containing an introduction of yourself, explaining why you are applying for the position, and explaining why you think you are suitable for the position.
The deadline for application is 12 July, 2020.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for technical test and interview.
All the steps of the recruitment would be done in ENGLISH.
Faaliyetlerine uluslararası Helsinki Yurttaşlar Meclisi girişimiyle eşzamanlı olarak 1990 yılında başlayan Yurttaşlık Derneği (Yd), 1993 yılında, uluslararası niteliği Bakanlar Kurulu'nca da tanınan bir sivil toplum örgütü olarak İstanbul'da kuruldu.
Dernek, temel hak ve özgürlükler, barış, çoğulculuk, yurttaşlık ve demokratikleşme alanlarında çalışmalar yürütür. Uluslararası sözleşmelerde de ifade edilen haysiyetli bir yaşam, hukukun üstünlüğü ve adalet, hesap veren, şeffaf ve katılımcı kamu idaresi, toplumsal cinsiyet eşitliği gibi değerlerin; toplumsal dokuyu ve barışı, şehirleri ve gezegeni tahrip etmeyen bir ekonominin; çatışma ve sorunların barışçı müzakere, istişare ve diyalog yöntemleriyle çözümlenmesi gibi usullerin gündelik hayatta benimsenerek sivil tabanda somutlaşmasını ve yaygınlaştırılmasını hedefler.