Position: Country Director - Türkiye
Location: Gaziantep, Türkiye – with frequent travel to Ankara, field sites in Türkiye, and other RI offices upon request (ie, regional meetings, workshops, etc)
Reports to: Regional Director- Middle East
Relief International (RI) partners with communities impacted by conflict, climate change, and disaster to save lives, build greater resilience, and promote long-term health and well-being. RI is currently active in 15 countries spanning Africa, Asia and the Middle East. RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
About the context and RI role:
Relief International has been implementing programming in Türkiye since 2013 and is currently actively engaged in the response to the protracted refugee crisis in Türkiye. Currently, Relief International’s portfolio in Türkiye focuses on physical rehabilitation, inclusion, mental health, and livelihoods with programs spanning several governorates in the country. Relief International’s Türkiye mission implements programming inside Türkiye only, but coordinates with Relief International’s Syria mission that also maintains an Area Office to support Northwest Syria from Gaziantep. Relief International also values coordination with other agencies and the government of Türkiye and takes leadership roles within the response as relevant.
Reporting to the Regional Director for the Middle East, the Country Director is responsible for the Türkiye mission overall, including high-level representation, fundraising and program development, strategic planning, risk management, program quality, administrative processes, security, and all other aspects of the mission vital to ensure the health of the mission. The Country Director for Türkiye must prioritize sustainability of the mission from financial and resource perspective within a difficult funding environment, and proactively lead on identifying, creating and pursuing new opportunities for funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Fundraising and Program Development
- Prioritize sustainability of the mission from financial and resource perspective in alignment with RI’s programmatic strategy
- Spot and proactively pursue new opportunities for program growth and start-up
- Build diverse network to support potential new programs including but not limited to private foundations, institutional donors, and consortium partners
- Develop, in cooperation with other staff, short, medium and long-range strategic plans maintaining program focus in areas congruent with RI's program objectives
- Identify and participate in forums and meetings for the NGO sector where a strategic benefit for the organization exists
- Maintain a suitable image for RI in Türkiye and protect RI's interest and assets
- Assign a deputy in country who can represent in the CD’s absence
- Effectively liaise with donor governments and other lead agency representatives, as well as national government officials and counterparts within partner organizations, legal counsel, audit firms, etc
- Represent RI at high level, routine meetings, and sector meetings
- Initiate RI's response to disasters and emergencies when appropriate
- Facilitate donor visits to project sites as appropriate
- Represent RI in INGOs forums
Program Quality and Grant Management
- Oversee project implementation, including allocation of resources, ensuring that appropriate controls are maintained at all levels, by working with program managers
- Ensure that team members are effective and efficient and contribute the necessary work to ensure their programs are a success. Provide feedback to staff to ensure optimal performance.
- Ensure all programs are completed with high quality, on time, on budget and achieve their objectives.
Culture, Leadership and Team management
- Provide leadership and management of national and expatriate staff. Ensure timely and quality staff performance management of directly managed staff, making sure all program team follows best practices in this regard.
- Ensure that the hiring, promotion, firing and termination of compensation levels of national staff in accordance with local laws and practice.
- Ensure the continued safety of all personnel and establish and implement emergency security evacuation plans as appropriate.
- In collaboration with the HR team, address disciplinary, conflict and abuse issues within the program team.
- In accordance with RI’s HR policy and in-line with RI’s staff care efforts, maintain a healthy work environment, with reasonable workloads and proper leaves. Work with the RHRM to assess and prevent risks of excessive stress and burnout in the workplace.
- Ensure a positive and productive work environment that is free from harassment and bullying.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity and understanding of diversity and cultural differences, gender issues and the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate and uphold RI’s values and ethics.
Risk and Security management
- Work closely with Regional SMT on anticipating and mitigating programmatic and organizational risks, through introducing and ensuring constant improvement of country teams through systematic approaches, including but not limited to country risk registers, monthly country-level reporting, monthly portfolio review, incident management process, security planning and reporting, etc.
- Prioritize building and improving security capacity and processes at country level, ensuring internal policies for security are followed. Lead the roll-out and follow up of compliance and due diligence policies and procedures in the country office, in coordination with regional team members.
Ethics and Compliance
- Ensure efficient and effective compliance measures and prompt and successful resolution of audits and investigations of alleged noncompliance and/or ethical issues.
- Oversee implementation of effective compliance communication and training programs for regional team and country teams as well as other efforts to promote an enterprise culture of integrity and compliance, both for new and existing employees.
- Oversee the financial health and management of the Country Office.
- Through the Regional Finance Manager, support all audit processes across the region
- Support the implementation of all relevant audit recommendations at regional and country level
- Uphold and promote RI’s commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and safety of the vulnerable communities we serve
- Consistent with RI’s safeguarding and protection policies, contribute to ensuring that all those who come into contact with Relief International staff and the communities we serve can be trusted to work safely with them
- Support and develop systems that create and maintain an environment that prevents sexual exploitation and abuse and promotes the implementation of the Code of Conduct and safeguarding policies
- Work collaboratively with the Global Safeguarding Manager to advocate for the inclusion of safeguarding activities and resources within program.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of donor requirements of safeguarding standards and protection from exploitation and abuse.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field or Bachelor’s degree with commensurate work experience;
- Minimum of eight years professional experience in lead management implementing emergency response programs in a complex setting;
- Fundraising experience with private foundations and/or donors beyond traditional institutional donors;
- Knowledge of and experience in Türkiye context highly preferred;
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed;
- Solid background and knowledge of grant management with key donor agencies such as USG, EU, etc;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Excellent English-speaking skills are required;
- Strong English writing skills required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
- Excellent and demonstrated skills in team management (structure, conflict, performance management and communication)
Guided by the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence, as well as “Do No Harm,” Relief International Values:
How to apply
- In case you meet the requirements and that you are interested in the position, please send your CV and Cover Letter in English in addition to the three professional references to provided. in Career Opportunities (taleo.net) before , October 28, 2023, stating in the subject "Country Director - Türkiye"
Due to limited resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Relief International has a zero-tolerance policy for unlawful harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse. Relief International is committed to protecting our staff and the communities we work with from abuse and harm including sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment.
Note: Relief International is an equal-opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
If needed, Relief International will submit a work permit application on behalf of the selected candidate after the job offer is accepted - Failure to provide the required documents or rejection of a work permit application by the Government of Türkiye will result in the employment offer being rescinded
Due to limited resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
RI TÜRKİYE CANDIDATE PRIVACY NOTICE
This Privacy Notice was drafted by Relief International Türkiye (“RI Türkiye”) as a data controller in accordance with Article 10 of the Turkish Law No 6698 on the Protection of Personal Data (“Law”) and the Communiqué on the Principles and Procedures in Conforming with the Obligation to Inform.
On the legal bases referred to in Article 5/f processing of data is necessary for the legitimate interests pursued by the data controller, provided that this processing shall not violate the fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject." RI Türkiye shall process your name-surname, e-mail address, mobile phone, references, and CV/resume personal data for carrying out selection and placement processes for job candidates, and transfer them to third party suppliers through your applications to published RI Türkiye job ads via employment agencies or sending your CV/resume to RI Türkiye directly by wholly or partly automatic means. Additionally, RI Türkiye is going to get in touch with your references assuming that all obligatory information is given, and consents are obtained by your side about sharing their personal data with RI Türkiye.
You may submit your requests to RI Türkiye under Article 11 of the Law concerning the rights of the data subject in accordance with the Communique on the Procedures and Principles of Application to a Data Controller.
For more information please click here.
Relief International is committed to protecting our staff and the communities we work with from abuse and harm including sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment.
All staff are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Recruitment to all roles in Relief International include a criminal records self-declaration, references and other pre-employment checks, which may include police and qualifications checks.