International Sustainability and Development Yönetim Danışmanlık Hizmetleri ve Ticaret Limited Şirketi (hereinafter “ISD”) is seeking a Conflict Research Advisor to join our team. ISD is an international development company that promotes meaningful change around the world to help people live healthier, more productive, and more independent lives.
2. POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Conflict Research Advisor will work in close coordination with the Team Leader and technical and program implementation teams as well as DFID staff. S/he is the lead on conducting systematic research and analysis of the profile, causes, actors and dynamics of the conflict in Syria at various levels (e.g. local, regional, national, etc.) and establish the links between these levels and inform the program design and implementation. The Conflict Research Advisor provides advice to the design, management, implementation and oversight of the programme’s activities from a conflict, risk and political perspective, and will conduct continuous assessment of risks to programme activities and provide guidance and recommendations regarding risk mitigations. The Conflict Research Advisor will contribute to a wide range of project communication products, leveraging the full spectrum of available programmatic and research-based data to create, in coordination with programme team and DFID products that demonstrate the programme’s strategy, impact, presence and preparedness for rapid risk mitigation. The Conflict Research Advisor will report to the Team Leader or his designee. This position will be responsible for contributing to the programme’s strategic direction and managing a high profile and high-risk portfolio of activities.
The Conflict Research will adhere to and act in accordance with ISD’ professional code of ethics, ‘Living Our Values’, and will make the principles of the code a part of ISD’s culture and operating procedures. He/she will also foster and maintain good and professional relations with prospective and actual partners, grantees and vendors, will disclose any affiliations that could be perceived as a conflict of interest, and will maintain confidentiality regarding program activities.
3. DETAILED RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise Team Leader and technical team on conflict sensitivity and risk management related to all program design and implementation.
- Stay up-to-date with regards to the development of Syria conflict and the role of its key players.
- Research on-going conflict situations and its potential risk to improve programme’s understanding of key actors, contexts, causes, options and capabilities.
- Conduct continuous risk analysis for the political and armed conflict in Syria to inform risk mitigation and support program design and implementation.
- Actively contribute to the project’s strategic analysis to ensure alignment of program objectives with the evolving conflict, political and security situation in Syria.
- Ensure the program is provided with reliable data and valid analysis to support programmatic decision-making on risk management and conflict sensitivity.
- Review the program’s risk assessment and mitigation framework for compliance with standards, regulations, and procedures required by donors and ISD.
- Perform critical analysis of data and information that results in actionable recommendations and reports.
- Disaggregate threats into perceived, actual, direct and indirect, and develop risk analysis and mitigation measures accordingly.
- Prepare research and analysis products to inform program and donor decision-making, map evolving conflicts, as well as capture programming efforts and accomplishments.
- Support programme ’s situational awareness and contextual analysis through ensuring that existing research is integrated into programme’s reporting on key conflict, political and security trends.
4. PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE
The assignment is long-term through the life of the programme.
5. LOCATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The assignment will be conducted in Gaziantep with intermittent travel.
- Bachelor degree in a relevant field is required or relevant years of experience
- At least three years’ experience in conflict research and conflict analysis
- Experience in developing responsive conflict and risk mitigation plans
- Strong understanding of the conflict and security situation in Syria, previous experience in Syria is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of the political and humanitarian dynamics within the Syrian context
- Experience and knowledge in collecting and analyzing data from different sources and forecast trends and events based on the analysis of data.
- Professional proficiency speaking, reading, and writing English and Arabic required.
- Turkish nationality is required
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid Turkish ID will be considered.
7. SUPERVISION AND REPORTING
The Conflict Research Advisor will report to the Team Leader.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are required to submit a CV and a Cover letter provided in the apply button referring to the position they are applying for by December 18th, 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted