Childcare Assistant (Ref: SVN#TR/2023/15)
Vacancy Notice Number:
Istanbul – Türkiye
6 months Special Short Term Graded Contract (G3)– with possible extension
Deadline of Applications:
8 February 2023
Number of People to be hired
Internal & External Candidates
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization's programmes.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator (FAP), and the direct supervision of the National Project Officer, the successful candidate will be based in Istanbul, and will provide child minding services at FAP office. All duties are to be performed in accordance with IOM policies, practices and procedures.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- To take well care of children while parents are submitting their visa applications.
- To provide proper activity for children and create a happy environment and innovative actions.
- To familiarize children with the concept of migration, as well as information about the destination country (Germany) in accordance with the models provided by the trainer.
- To encourage and support children in group activities such as making crafts, etc. to create and improve their spirit of cooperation and teamwork.
- To make sure the babysitting area is clean and free from dust and to make sure there is no trash around Childcare centre area.
- To record the daily children/baby attendances.
- To create daily activities and once a week report to Team Leader.
- To provide the Team Leader with the list of requirements for children classes and prepare necessary materials.
- To report to the Team Leader for any suspected social issues and health related issues which might occur at childcare centre.
- Any other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree with one year of relevant experience or
- High school degree with at least three years of relevant professional experience.
- Be a good team leader and player, be creative to develop new activities, be able to work with children. Having worked in a kindergarten will be an asset.
- Understand child psychology.
- Be able to communicate in Arabic.
- Punctual, honest, good communication skills, good judgment and hardworking.
- Be a good team leader and player, be creative to develop new activities, be able to work with children.
- Fluency in Arabic is required.
- Working knowledge of English and Turkish is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Integrity and transparency: Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Delivering Results:
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit residing in Türkiye will be considered.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a cover letter in English with contact details (name, position, phone and e-mail details) of three references by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com or to IOM Birlik Mahallesi Sehit Kurbani Akboga Sok. No:24 06610, Çankaya, Ankara Türkiye by the end of 8 February 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
- Migration Health Physician
- Senior Project Assistant (Protection)-re-advertised
- Project Field Coordinator
- Finance Assistant (Budget)
- Medical Assistant
- Project Assistant (Outreach)
- Interpreter (Arabic-Turkish)
- Interpreter (Farsi-Turkish)
- Project Assistant (Livelihood) - Malatya
- Project Assistant (Livelihood) - Adana
- Project Assistant (Livelihood) - Sanliurfa
- Project Assistant (Livelihood) - Gaziantep
- National Project Officer (Livelihood)
- Office Maintenance Assistant-re-advertised
- Project Assistant (Social Work)-re-advertised