CARE International in Türkiye (CARE) has been in Türkiye since October 2014 responding to the needs of Syrian refugees under several programmatic areas including women’s economic empowerment, livelihoods and food security, legal aid assistance, WASH and Shelter. Most recently CARE Türkiye has been responding to the devastating February 6th earthquakes and established new operations and programs to reach affected populations.
Globally CARE places a programmatic focus on women and girls who are often disproportionally affected by poverty. CARE places an emphasis on woman as they are viewed as catalysts of change within their communities – CARE believes changing a woman life will often change her community. In parallel, CARE integrates engaging men and boys programming who can also act as change agents, and together are able to address societal/gender norms which often underly protection issues.
Job Summary :
Managed by the Project Coordinator and working in collaboration with relevant technical and program support staff, the Shelter/WASH Engineer will be responsible for developing all CARE technical architectural, mechanical, and electrical plans and documentation and use of these in the implementation of Wash & Shelter interventions in south east Turkey. He/she will ensure that agreed procedures are followed and accountability mechanisms are implemented in order to ensure high quality programming and continual improvement of the support to refugees provided by CARE.
Responsibilities and Tasks :
Job Responsibility #1: Planning, implementation, and follow-up of Wash & Shelter activities: 60%
- Support the Project Coordinator to develop and update technical Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for Wash & Shelter activities.
- Lead all aspects of drafting technical drawings and the development of Bills of Quantity (BoQ), the technical scope of works and preparations of tender documents, with the support of the procurement team.
- Support the Project Coordinator in the development of detailed implementation plans, budgets, work plans, procurement plans and indicator tracking tools.
- Lead the planning implementation of technical infrastructure activities in collaboration with the Project Coordinator and with the support of the Project Officer and Project Assistant.
- Ensure that technical activities are completed on time and in accordance with agreed SOP.
- Support the CARE Logistics Department with tendering processes and the procurement of materials and supplies.
- Regularly liaise with stakeholders from construction subcontractors and focal points to plan and implement activities.
- Support the Project Coordinator in the mapping of relevant organizations and institutions, highlighting which organizations are doing what and for whom in the Wash & Shelter sector.
- Investigate and facilitate introduction of new technology, methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities.
- Conduct quality control and provide technical support to contractors.
- Ensure subcontractor compliance with CARE policies, guidelines and standards.
- Provide technical solutions to address probable shortcomings in contracts, work implementation, etc. through drafting work orders, contract amendments, etc. and communicating them to contractor and suppliers after confirmation of Immediate Supervisor.
- Conduct regular gap and needs analysis in urban and rural refugee communities and provide quality control and technical support to implementing partners and/or contractors.
- Support the Project Coordinator to promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options.
- Work with the Project Coordinator and Partnership & Liaison Officer to coordinate with relevant actors, ensuring that duplication is avoided, and coverage of assistance is maximized.
Job Responsibility #2: Data management and reporting : 20%
- Ensure appropriate management of electronic and hard copy technical data and information.
- Produce technical activity and progress reports as required.
- Assist the Project Coordinator and Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Coordinator with the preparation of project reports for CARE member partners and donors.
Job Responsibility #3: Program Quality : 20%
- With the Project Coordinator and MEL Officers, ensure that participants and community-level projects are selected for activities based on agreed criteria, profiles and processes, and are registered according to procedure.
- Work with the MEAL team to undertake regular technical project monitoring Wash & Shelter infrastructure activities.
- Ensure that feedback received from community members and relevant stakeholders is used to continually improve activities and that activities are meeting the needs of the targeted communities or individuals.
- Review and validate the findings of monitoring and accountability activities with the MEL officer and Project Coordinator and provide feedback for improving the quality of assessment and activities.
- Assist the Project Coordinator and Project Manager with program design and proposal development as required.
- Attend technical coordination meetings if required and share meeting notes/updates/relevant information.
- Any other related task as required by line manager (up to 5%)