The Food Security and Emergency Response Program Manager will lead CARE’s remotely managed Program, including its Food Security Projects, winterization response, and Rapid Response Mechanism in Northwest Syria. Reporting to the Director of programs-X-Border, and with support from the Assistant country director for Humanitarian, the Program Manager will lead the implementation of the Food Security and Emergency Response Program strategy to ensure CARE’s intervention is timely, effective, and relevant to the range of needs. S/he will be overall responsible for all Emergency Response, Basic Needs, and Food Security programming in the Northwest Syria portfolio, directly manage the CARE Food security and Emergency teams and be directly responsible for relevant partner management and performance as well as donor coordination. FS&ER PM will work closely with CARE’s other Program Managers to ensure strategic integration of CARE’s established program sectors within its emergency response where possible as well as collaborating with key program support functions, including Program Quality, Risk management, Finance, HR, Administration, Logistics and Procurement, and Donor compliance teams to ensure operational systems and processes are functioning smoothly. S/he will be responsible for the application of gender and protection mainstreaming in all Food Security and Emergency Response projects and will provide technical training, mentoring, and capacity building for CARE staff and implementing partners. S/he will ensure that the Program is principled and compliant, focusing on project management, partner management, donor coordination, program development, and reporting within the Program. S/he will take an active role in technical coordination, support and advocacy with national and local cluster coordination mechanisms. Finally, under the guidance of the Director of Programs-X-Border, s/he will maintain and update the NWS Emergency Preparedness Plan across all programmatic areas.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Job Responsibility #1 Program Development and Sectorial leadership 20%
- Lead on developing and implementing the CARE Turkey cross-border Response in North-west Syria related to the Food Security and Emergency Response strategies in line with CARE global strategies.
- Participate in developing CARE Turkey Cross-border strategy and provide inputs regarding Food Security and Emergency Response programming.
- Design, coordinate and lead sectoral need assessments and ensure that findings are used in program strategy review and the program planning adaptions.
- Provide technical leadership and inputs related to the interventions implemented through CARE’s direct implementation and CARE’s partners, including but not limited to Modality selection, Delivery mechanism and applied tools.
- Lead on the development of Food Security and Emergency Response sectors’ plans, inclusive of partner portfolio needs and in line with CARE Turkey sector planning and strategies.
- Lead on the Program-Related donor relations, support development of donor proposals, and medium to long-term funding strategies.
- Ensure the master budget for applying the Food Security and Food Security and Emergency Response sector is in place and representative of the sector planning and strategy.
- Financial management of all Food Security and Emergency Response sector budget lines, including the monitoring of Partners up-to-date reviewing CARE’s budgets.
- Ensure up-to-date scenarios and Emergency Preparedness plans for Emergency Response is in place, in close collaboration with other sector program managers.
- Support the country office efforts for advocacy and fundraising related to sectors under this program.
Job Responsibility #2 Program Implementation and Quality Assurance 40%
- Design and implement appropriate Food Security and Emergency Response Sectors’ Programs by ensuring efficiency and effectiveness through strong program management as well as assuring quality of partner implemented projects.
- Establish detailed implementation plans, including phased budgets, work plans, procurement planning and indicator tracking.
- Manage program budget lines, ensure proper and effective use of program resources, and ensure full compliance with CARE and donor requirements
- Prepare timely program and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal CARE requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- With technical support from the Program Quality team, apply appropriate targeting criteria and mechanisms to ensure the needs of identified vulnerable groups are met.
- Lead on project level progress reviews with partners and relevant CARE departments inclusive of work plan, budget and MEAL plan reviews.
- Act and report on issues raised through independent verification activities and review the related process and procedures accordingly.
- Ensure program data is of good quality with sufficient data review, protection, storage and analysis to inform project adaption and program development.
- Responsible for ensuring program specific gender action plan (GAP) and the “do no harm” assessment is planned and implemented throughout the project cycle and mitigation measures and re-adaptation of the program/budget occurs, with close support of the GBV/protection mainstreaming officer and in close coordination and cooperation with the gender and protection adviser (at strategic level and capacity building).
- Lead on project/sector specific learning reviews with partners with support from program quality.
- Ensure that program teams are kept informed of developments in Northwest Syria in the area of sectorial development, in particular by liaising with partners and other International and other institutions in the country where possible
- Liaise with local partners, NGOs, and other relevant entities for coordination and implementation, including with relevant Cluster coordination bodies
- Ensure risks are appropriately managed, including financial, safety and security, programmatic and reputational.
- Liaise with CARE country team and other CARE global support to ensure all necessary support is provided to ensure the effective implementation of the program.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the relevant technical specialists to ensure the managed program meets desired outcomes
- Ensure gender is fully considered throughout the project cycle with women being enabled to influence decision- making around food security, Shelter/NFI and Emergency Response related interventions.
- Ensure that Food Security and Emergency Response program is conflict sensitive and responsive to the local context by remaining aware of the shifting context and coordinating with the security team and regional access team.
Job Responsibility #3 Partner Management 15%
Job Responsibility #4 Staff Management and Capacity Building 10%